Date

Re: Upstreamable patches?

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Both of those look good to get into the main repo. Are you
comfortable submitting a pull request? If not, I am happy too.

Out of curiosity, i'll have to admit that I'm a bit of a newbie in
terms of package management? Is there a simple command-line to do an
ocio package installation on fedora? If so, we should certainly update
the docs / website to reflect as much.

-- Jeremy

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...> wrote:
Hey guys, been a while but things seem to be going well with my Fedora
package of ocio so I haven't needed to ask any questions lately.

I was going through my packages and noticed I have two patches against
the current 1.0.7 source which I think are upstreamable. I may have
already mentioned them but I've slept too many times since then to be
sure.

This one makes sure that no hidden files are packaged in the
documentation (found my rpmlint):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/ocio/OpenColorIO-1.0.7-docfix.patch

This one gives me the option to no put a soname on the pyglue library:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/ocio/OpenColorIO-1.0.7-pylib_no_soname.patch

Thanks,
Richard

--

Re: parsing configs with non-C locale

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Is this your first stab at using git as well?

We've the very few first steps outlined on the ocio website,
http://opencolorio.org/developers/getting_started.html

The rough steps are:

make a github account, get the permissions working
fork OpenColorIO to your private repo
clone your private repo
add spi as a remote
checkout a new branch for your development task
modify code, build, test
commit code changes
push commit(s) to github
from the github website, submit a pull request for the developement branch

If this is too daunting, please feel free to just send me either a
patch or the update files; I'll be happy to submit a pull request on
my branch.

-- Jeremy

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Paul Miller <pa...@...> wrote:
I already have a fix. But I've never committed anything to github. If
someone will walk me through the process, I'll be happy to commit my fix.

Re: OCIO 1.0.8 released

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

I didn't realize you were doing ugly patching.
You should have ocio-dev for a dot release sooner! Tags are free
after all... ;)

-- Jeremy

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:
It's been a long time since our last release!

There have been a bunch of updates that have not made it into any
tagged release, and seeing as how we have a bunch of development work
in progress it seemed appropriate to release a tagged minor version
prior to adding the new code.
Yay! No more patching on Fedora! Also, since we now have a cmake28
package in Fedora EPEL I don't have to do any ugly cmake hacks anymore
for RHEL/CentOS/SL 6.

Thanks,
Richard

--

Re: OCIO 1.0.8 released

Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...>

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:
It's been a long time since our last release!

There have been a bunch of updates that have not made it into any
tagged release, and seeing as how we have a bunch of development work
in progress it seemed appropriate to release a tagged minor version
prior to adding the new code.
Yay! No more patching on Fedora! Also, since we now have a cmake28
package in Fedora EPEL I don't have to do any ugly cmake hacks anymore
for RHEL/CentOS/SL 6.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: parsing configs with non-C locale

Paul Miller <pa...@...>

On 12/11/2012 6:09 PM, Jeremy Selan wrote:
I've opened up an issue on github so we dont forget about fixing this.
http://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO/issues/297

Anyone up for taking a stab at implementing the C-Locale fix?
I already have a fix. But I've never committed anything to github. If someone will walk me through the process, I'll be happy to commit my fix.

Re: icc profile for photoshop

Andrew Britton <andrew.d...@...>

No worries! I just had to solve this icc/Photoshop issue at CBS to make sure current color pipeline works for our matte department.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:
We would love it if you could write it up and post it to the list, thanks!

Extra credit if you update the OCIO docs code. (If you dont know how
to do this, you can at least submit an OCIO github issue from the web
interface, with the docs update contained in the message.)

Thanks!

-- Jeremy

--

Re: Bugs in Windows build process

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Your help on a windows build/installer would be very much appreciated.
Thanks so much! Many smaller studios will forever be in your debt,
should you complete this quest successfully. :)

One of the items we're particularly interested in is getting a
pre-compiled ociobakelut working on windows, as part of the installer.
ociobakelut is required for maya / photoshop support, so I'd hate to
put it out there without the bakelut functionality. (We have found
csp(s) to work great with Maya).

-- Jeremy

I'd be happy to assist. I don't a wealth of experience with compilers or porting from Mac but I'll be happy to assist and test. I can also help build an installer for Windows.

<andrew.d...@...> wrote:
[...]

Re: icc profile in photoshop

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Cool, didnt know that!

-- Jeremy

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Brendan Bolles <bre...@...> wrote:
On Dec 11, 2012, at 3:49 PM, Jeremy Selan wrote:

To use ocio with photoshop, the current recommended workflow is to
bake out an icc profile.
Note: you MUST specify --description, this is what shows up in
photoshop when the icc profile is loaded.

If you happen to After Effects on your machine, the After Effects plug-in can export ICC profiles just like ociobakelut can. Mac and Windows binaries available here:

http://www.fnordware.com/OpenColorIO

(guess I need to update it to 1.0.8 now)

Brendan

--

Re: icc profile in photoshop

Brendan Bolles <bre...@...>

On Dec 11, 2012, at 3:49 PM, Jeremy Selan wrote:

To use ocio with photoshop, the current recommended workflow is to
bake out an icc profile.
Note: you MUST specify --description, this is what shows up in
photoshop when the icc profile is loaded.

If you happen to After Effects on your machine, the After Effects plug-in can export ICC profiles just like ociobakelut can. Mac and Windows binaries available here:

http://www.fnordware.com/OpenColorIO

(guess I need to update it to 1.0.8 now)

Brendan

Re: parsing configs with non-C locale

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

I've opened up an issue on github so we dont forget about fixing this.
http://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO/issues/297

Anyone up for taking a stab at implementing the C-Locale fix?

-- Jeremy

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Paul Miller <pa...@...> wrote:
On 11/19/2012 8:28 AM, Dithermaster wrote:

Ben's description aligns with my own experiences. We had a similar bug
reading/writing a text file with decimals, and fixed it in a similar way
(by saving/setting/restoring the locale setting).

Same here. But in that case, rather than fiddling with the locale (I wasn't
sure of any unintended consequences of doing that), I swapped in a custom
sscanf() that assumed decimal separators.

Still, I'll manually swap into the C locale when using OCIO in my imminent
update, but I agree it should probably be done inside OCIO at some point.
One less implementation detail to worry about.

Re: icc profile in photoshop

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

You are correct.

To use ocio with photoshop, the current recommended workflow is to
bake out an icc profile.
Note: you MUST specify --description, this is what shows up in
photoshop when the icc profile is loaded.

The output ICC profiles are cross platform. At Imageworks, we
generate them on linux and the distribute to Mac and Windows machines
for usage.

Note that in recent versions of Photoshop you can specify the use of a
3d-lut as an adjustment layer. (such as a 3dl file). We have found
this to be not as preferable a workflow as going the ICC route. When
an icc profile is selected, UI elements like the colorpicker / color
swatches show the transformed appearance. When an adjustment layer is
used, this behavior is not possible.

-- Jeremy

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 3:59 AM, <singha...@...> wrote:
I am to compile ocio for windows. Before i do that certain questions crop in
my mind.

correct me if i am wrong. Going thru the notes. I understand that to view
images in a color space in photoshop I need to make icc profile.
and that too using ociobakelut.

iow,

after compiling ocio for windows, one of the products ociobakelut will help
create this icc profile from command line.

if I compile ocio in linux, the icc profile created there will still be
useful for photoshop for windows.

Is that it to it or is there something more. How exactly does this process
go.

--

OCIO 1.0.8 released

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

It's been a long time since our last release!

There have been a bunch of updates that have not made it into any
tagged release, and seeing as how we have a bunch of development work
in progress it seemed appropriate to release a tagged minor version
prior to adding the new code.

Version 1.0.8 (Dec 11 2012):
* After Effects plugin
* Core increased precision for matrix inversion
* Core md5 symbols no longer leaked
* CMake compatibility with OIIO 1.0 namespacing
* Cmake option to control python soname
* Nuke register_viewers defaults OCIODisplay to "all"
* Nuke ColorLookup <-> spi1d lut examples
* Windows uses boost shared_ptr by default
* Windows fixed csp writing
* Windows build fixes
* ociobakelut supports looks

-- Jeremy

Re: Foundry bugfixes to Nuke nodes?

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll contact the foundry
and see if we can find out what they've done.

-- Jeremy

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:30 AM, dbr/Ben <dbr....@...> wrote:
I was reading the release notes for Nuke,
http://thefoundry.s3.amazonaws.com/products/nuke/releases/7.0v1/7.0v1_ReleaseNotes.pdf
..and noticed a few items mentioning bug-fixes to OCIO nodes, like:

BUG ID 27628 - OCIO: OCIODisplay didn't update the Viewer correctly when
switching the layer control between all and custom layers.
Any one know if these changes are going to be commited back to the main
repo? Or if we should reproduce the bug and re-do the fixes, or something
like that

Since of course they have no obligation to share their modifications, I only
ask because at least one Foundry-dev contributed fixes already \o/
- Ben

--

[...]

Upstreamable patches?

Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...>

dbr/Ben <dbr....@...>

I was reading the release notes for Nuke,
..and noticed a few items mentioning bug-fixes to OCIO nodes, like:

> BUG ID 27628 - OCIO: OCIODisplay didn't update the Viewer correctly when switching the layer control between all and custom layers.

Any one know if these changes are going to be commited back to the main repo? Or if we should reproduce the bug and re-do the fixes, or something like that

Since of course they have no obligation to share their modifications, I only ask because at least one Foundry-dev contributed fixes already \o/
- Ben

Re: icc profile for photoshop

dbr/Ben <dbr....@...>

That's correct! This guide should hopefully explain everything:

If you have access to a Linux machine, you could run ociobakelut on that, then copy the ICC profile to the Windows machine.

It's definitely possible to build on Windows, but building on Linux (or OS X) can be easier - it's been documented, and more widely tested

On 11/12/2012, at 10:20 PM, singha...@... wrote:

I am to compile ocio for windows. Before i do that certain questions crop in my mind.

correct me if i am wrong. Going thru the notes. I understand that to view images in a color space in photoshop I need to make icc profile.
and that too using ociobakelut.

iow, after compiling ocio for windows, one of the products ociobakelut will help create this icc profile from command line.

Is that it to it or is there something more. How exactly does this process go.

--

Re: Bugs in Windows build process

Andrew Britton <andrew.d...@...>

I'd be happy to assist. I don't a wealth of experience with compilers or porting from Mac but I'll be happy to assist and test. I can also help build an installer for Windows.

On Dec 10, 2012, at 8:27 AM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:

We dont yet have a how to on the windows build process, though we
certainly would like to get one going!

(Are there any volunteers on the list to assist with this?) In the
long term, I think it would be preferable to include a windows
installer so that users dont have to build OCIO at all!

You should also know that Nuke 6.3v7 and above ship with OCIO (on all
platforms), so if you're only looking to experiment with OCIO, as a
Nuke user, you can just experiment with later versions.

-- Jeremy

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 4:07 AM, <singha...@...> wrote:
It may occur silly to ask. do you have startup on how to build ocio for
windows. Does not matter if it gives a problem later...but a "how to start"
will greatly help,

what version of msvc should I go for. I want to first try for nuke 6.3v1.

On Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:02:09 AM UTC+5:30, Nathan Weston wrote:

After much struggle, I finally managed to get OCIO built on Windows, but
there are several apparent bugs in the build process that require manual
intervetion to work around.

I ran CMake from the Visual Studio 2008 command prompt (32-bit), with the
following command line:
cmake -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=c:\ocio-em64t -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
^
-D OCIO_BUILD_STATIC=OFF -D BOOST_ROOT=c:\boost_1_49_0 ^
-D OCIO_BUILD_APPS=OFF -D OCIO_USE_BOOST_PTR=ON ^
-D PYTHON_VERSION="2.6.5" -D PYTHON_LIB=C:/Python26/libs ^
-D PYTHON_INCLUDE=C:/Python26/include ^
-D OCIO_LINK_PYGLUE=ON ^
-G "NMake Makefiles" ..\

Bug #1: I have to specifiy OCIO_BUILD_STATIC here, otherwise it will build
the static lib and the import lib at the same location -- the former
overwrites the latter, which prevents me from linking with the DLL.

Bug #2: The build fails with "NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to
make 'ext\dist\lib\libyaml-cppmd.lib'"

It turns out that yaml-cpp is built in debug mode, even though this is a
release build. So libyaml-cppmdd.lib (note the extra 'd') exists, but the
release version of the library (upon which OpenColorIO.dll depends) does
not. I worked around this by building yaml-cpp separately and copying the
correct lib into the build directory.

Bug #3: building the python bindings fails because PyDoc.h doesn't exist.
I worked around this by running createPyDocH.py manually.

I'm afraid CMake is something of a mystery to me so I can't offer much
help in the way of fixing these bugs. But if anyone has suggestions or
proposed fixes, I'm happy to try them out.

- Nathan

Re: Shameless Plug: VES Cinematic Color White Paper

Colin Doncaster <colin.d...@...>

A very useful reference, great work Jeremy et al.

On 2012-12-10, at 11:33 AM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:

A shameless plug: For those who may be interested, the VES just
released a white paper on motion-picture color management:

Press Release:
http://www.awn.com/news/technology/ves-releases-cinematic-color-white-paper

Download:
http://cinematiccolor.com/

For those familiar with the Siggraph course notes that used to be
posted there, you'll notice a bit of overlap. :)

And by all means, pick it to pieces. We welcome your corrections,
comments, etc at ves-tec...@....

Cheers,
Jeremy