Date

Re: icc profile for photoshop

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

and if it's a lot of code, sometimes a github 'gist' is good for
sharing snippets like this:

https://gist.github.com/

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Jordan Soles <jor...@...> wrote:

we wrote a little script that allows you to toggle between two ICC
profiles by just using a shortcut key...I would be happy to send it out if
anyone needs it.

+1... Let's see it.

-- jeremy

Re: icc profile for photoshop

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Jordan Soles <jor...@...> wrote:
we wrote a little script that allows you to toggle between two ICC profiles by just using a shortcut key...I would be happy to send it out if anyone needs it.

+1... Let's see it.

-- jeremy

Re: icc profile for photoshop

Jordan Soles <jor...@...>

I don't even know if this is of any use at all (since my programming skills in Photoshop is very limited), but we wrote a little script that allows you to toggle between two ICC profiles by just using a shortcut key...I would be happy to send it out if anyone needs it.

As it stands, I built a crazy little pipeline where:
- we enter the 3D-Lut in shotgun
- a shotgun event automatically kicks off an ocio generation of the ICC profile (for the shot, seq, or show)
- when you open a PSD file, a script parses the filename and loads the correct ICC profile for that image

I am always in debt to OCIO as it has made our color pipeline so much easier to manage.

Jordan

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Andrew Britton <andrew.d...@...> wrote:
No worries! I just had to solve this icc/Photoshop issue at CBS to make sure current color pipeline works for our matte department.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:
We would love it if you could write it up and post it to the list, thanks!

Extra credit if you update the OCIO docs code. (If you dont know how
to do this, you can at least submit an OCIO github issue from the web
interface, with the docs update contained in the message.)

Thanks!

-- Jeremy

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Andrew Britton
<andrew.d...@...> wrote:
> There are one, or two, more steps that need to be performed in Photoshop so
> that you can see the .icc in action. Unfortunately these aren't documented
> on the link.
> I can write it up and email it if you're interested.
>
> Andrew
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 11, 2012, at 4:06 AM, dbr/Ben <dbr....@...> wrote:
>
> That's correct! This guide should hopefully explain everything:
>
> http://opencolorio.org/userguide/baking_luts.html#icc-profiles-photoshop
>
> If you have access to a Linux machine, you could run ociobakelut on that,
> then copy the ICC profile to the Windows machine.
>
> It's definitely possible to build on Windows, but building on Linux (or OS
> X) can be easier - it's been documented, and more widely tested
>
> On 11/12/2012, at 10:20 PM, singha...@... wrote:
>
> I am to compile ocio for windows. Before i do that certain questions crop in
> my mind.
>
> correct me if i am wrong. Going thru the notes. I understand that to view
> images in a color space in photoshop I need to make icc profile.
> and that too using ociobakelut.
>
> iow, after compiling ocio for windows, one of the products ociobakelut will
> help create this icc profile from command line.
>
> Is that it to it or is there something more. How exactly does this process
> go.
>
> --
>

> --
>

> --

www.andrewbritton.com

JORDAN SOLES
Chief Technology Officer | Producer
Office:     514 397 9999  x 400
Cell:       514 699 0414
Skype:    jordansoles

Re: OCIO 1.0.8 released

Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...>

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:
I didn't realize you were doing ugly patching.
You should have ocio-dev for a dot release sooner! Tags are free
after all... ;)
Wasn't a problem on your end. :) ocio itself only really requires
cmake 2.6 to build but the documentation build uses functions only
provided by 2.8. RHEL/CentOS only has 2.6 but I helped get a "cmake28"
package in Fedora EPEL so the hack was no longer necessary.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Upstreamable patches?

Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...>

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:
Both of those look good to get into the main repo. Are you
comfortable submitting a pull request? If not, I am happy too.
Oh, it looks like someone already did this for me on 1.0.8, correct?
If not, I'll do a pull request..

Out of curiosity, i'll have to admit that I'm a bit of a newbie in
terms of package management? Is there a simple command-line to do an
ocio package installation on fedora? If so, we should certainly update
the docs / website to reflect as much.
Yes, I remember now saying that we should do that once the packages
were accepted but never got around to doing it :)

a simple "yum install OpenColorIO" will work on F15 and up and also on
EL6 (but only if using the Fedora EPEL repository...)

Thanks,
Richard

Re: parsing configs with non-C locale

Paul Miller <pa...@...>

On 12/11/2012 7:43 PM, Jeremy Selan wrote:
Is this your first stab at using git as well?
I use git here but not as part of a public project.

We've the very few first steps outlined on the ocio website,
http://opencolorio.org/developers/getting_started.html
Oh - I hadn't seen that. Yeah I'll take a look - thanks for the pointer.

The rough steps are:

make a github account, get the permissions working
fork OpenColorIO to your private repo
clone your private repo
add spi as a remote
checkout a new branch for your development task
modify code, build, test
commit code changes
push commit(s) to github
from the github website, submit a pull request for the developement branch

If this is too daunting, please feel free to just send me either a
patch or the update files; I'll be happy to submit a pull request on
my branch.
It's pretty daunting but probably well worth me trying it out. I'll give her the old college try.

Thanks!

-Paul

Re: Upstreamable patches?

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Both of those look good to get into the main repo. Are you
comfortable submitting a pull request? If not, I am happy too.

Out of curiosity, i'll have to admit that I'm a bit of a newbie in
terms of package management? Is there a simple command-line to do an
ocio package installation on fedora? If so, we should certainly update
the docs / website to reflect as much.

-- Jeremy

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...> wrote:
Hey guys, been a while but things seem to be going well with my Fedora
package of ocio so I haven't needed to ask any questions lately.

I was going through my packages and noticed I have two patches against
the current 1.0.7 source which I think are upstreamable. I may have
already mentioned them but I've slept too many times since then to be
sure.

This one makes sure that no hidden files are packaged in the
documentation (found my rpmlint):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/ocio/OpenColorIO-1.0.7-docfix.patch

This one gives me the option to no put a soname on the pyglue library:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/ocio/OpenColorIO-1.0.7-pylib_no_soname.patch

Thanks,
Richard

--

Re: parsing configs with non-C locale

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Is this your first stab at using git as well?

We've the very few first steps outlined on the ocio website,
http://opencolorio.org/developers/getting_started.html

The rough steps are:

make a github account, get the permissions working
fork OpenColorIO to your private repo
clone your private repo
add spi as a remote
checkout a new branch for your development task
modify code, build, test
commit code changes
push commit(s) to github
from the github website, submit a pull request for the developement branch

If this is too daunting, please feel free to just send me either a
patch or the update files; I'll be happy to submit a pull request on
my branch.

-- Jeremy

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Paul Miller <pa...@...> wrote:
I already have a fix. But I've never committed anything to github. If
someone will walk me through the process, I'll be happy to commit my fix.

Re: OCIO 1.0.8 released

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

I didn't realize you were doing ugly patching.
You should have ocio-dev for a dot release sooner! Tags are free
after all... ;)

-- Jeremy

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:
It's been a long time since our last release!

There have been a bunch of updates that have not made it into any
tagged release, and seeing as how we have a bunch of development work
in progress it seemed appropriate to release a tagged minor version
prior to adding the new code.
Yay! No more patching on Fedora! Also, since we now have a cmake28
package in Fedora EPEL I don't have to do any ugly cmake hacks anymore
for RHEL/CentOS/SL 6.

Thanks,
Richard

--

Re: OCIO 1.0.8 released

Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...>

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:
It's been a long time since our last release!

There have been a bunch of updates that have not made it into any
tagged release, and seeing as how we have a bunch of development work
in progress it seemed appropriate to release a tagged minor version
prior to adding the new code.
Yay! No more patching on Fedora! Also, since we now have a cmake28
package in Fedora EPEL I don't have to do any ugly cmake hacks anymore
for RHEL/CentOS/SL 6.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: parsing configs with non-C locale

Paul Miller <pa...@...>

On 12/11/2012 6:09 PM, Jeremy Selan wrote:
I've opened up an issue on github so we dont forget about fixing this.
http://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO/issues/297

Anyone up for taking a stab at implementing the C-Locale fix?

Andrew Britton <andrew.d...@...>

--

Re: Bugs in Windows build process

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Your help on a windows build/installer would be very much appreciated.
Thanks so much! Many smaller studios will forever be in your debt,
should you complete this quest successfully. :)

One of the items we're particularly interested in is getting a
pre-compiled ociobakelut working on windows, as part of the installer.
ociobakelut is required for maya / photoshop support, so I'd hate to
put it out there without the bakelut functionality. (We have found
csp(s) to work great with Maya).

-- Jeremy

I'd be happy to assist. I don't a wealth of experience with compilers or porting from Mac but I'll be happy to assist and test. I can also help build an installer for Windows.

<andrew.d...@...> wrote:
[...]

Re: icc profile in photoshop

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Cool, didnt know that!

-- Jeremy

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Brendan Bolles <bre...@...> wrote:
On Dec 11, 2012, at 3:49 PM, Jeremy Selan wrote:

To use ocio with photoshop, the current recommended workflow is to
bake out an icc profile.
Note: you MUST specify --description, this is what shows up in
photoshop when the icc profile is loaded.

If you happen to After Effects on your machine, the After Effects plug-in can export ICC profiles just like ociobakelut can. Mac and Windows binaries available here:

http://www.fnordware.com/OpenColorIO

(guess I need to update it to 1.0.8 now)

Brendan

--

Re: icc profile in photoshop

Brendan Bolles <bre...@...>

On Dec 11, 2012, at 3:49 PM, Jeremy Selan wrote:

To use ocio with photoshop, the current recommended workflow is to
bake out an icc profile.
Note: you MUST specify --description, this is what shows up in
photoshop when the icc profile is loaded.

If you happen to After Effects on your machine, the After Effects plug-in can export ICC profiles just like ociobakelut can. Mac and Windows binaries available here:

http://www.fnordware.com/OpenColorIO

(guess I need to update it to 1.0.8 now)

Brendan

Re: parsing configs with non-C locale

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

I've opened up an issue on github so we dont forget about fixing this.
http://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO/issues/297

Anyone up for taking a stab at implementing the C-Locale fix?

-- Jeremy

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Paul Miller <pa...@...> wrote:
On 11/19/2012 8:28 AM, Dithermaster wrote:

Ben's description aligns with my own experiences. We had a similar bug
reading/writing a text file with decimals, and fixed it in a similar way
(by saving/setting/restoring the locale setting).

Same here. But in that case, rather than fiddling with the locale (I wasn't
sure of any unintended consequences of doing that), I swapped in a custom
sscanf() that assumed decimal separators.

Still, I'll manually swap into the C locale when using OCIO in my imminent
update, but I agree it should probably be done inside OCIO at some point.
One less implementation detail to worry about.

Re: icc profile in photoshop

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

You are correct.

To use ocio with photoshop, the current recommended workflow is to
bake out an icc profile.
Note: you MUST specify --description, this is what shows up in
photoshop when the icc profile is loaded.

The output ICC profiles are cross platform. At Imageworks, we
generate them on linux and the distribute to Mac and Windows machines
for usage.

Note that in recent versions of Photoshop you can specify the use of a
3d-lut as an adjustment layer. (such as a 3dl file). We have found
this to be not as preferable a workflow as going the ICC route. When
an icc profile is selected, UI elements like the colorpicker / color
swatches show the transformed appearance. When an adjustment layer is
used, this behavior is not possible.

-- Jeremy

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 3:59 AM, <singha...@...> wrote:
I am to compile ocio for windows. Before i do that certain questions crop in
my mind.

correct me if i am wrong. Going thru the notes. I understand that to view
images in a color space in photoshop I need to make icc profile.
and that too using ociobakelut.

iow,

after compiling ocio for windows, one of the products ociobakelut will help
create this icc profile from command line.

if I compile ocio in linux, the icc profile created there will still be
useful for photoshop for windows.

Is that it to it or is there something more. How exactly does this process
go.

--

OCIO 1.0.8 released

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

It's been a long time since our last release!

There have been a bunch of updates that have not made it into any
tagged release, and seeing as how we have a bunch of development work
in progress it seemed appropriate to release a tagged minor version
prior to adding the new code.

Version 1.0.8 (Dec 11 2012):
* After Effects plugin
* Core increased precision for matrix inversion
* Core md5 symbols no longer leaked
* CMake compatibility with OIIO 1.0 namespacing
* Cmake option to control python soname
* Nuke register_viewers defaults OCIODisplay to "all"
* Nuke ColorLookup <-> spi1d lut examples
* Windows uses boost shared_ptr by default
* Windows fixed csp writing
* Windows build fixes
* ociobakelut supports looks

-- Jeremy

Re: Foundry bugfixes to Nuke nodes?

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll contact the foundry
and see if we can find out what they've done.

-- Jeremy

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:30 AM, dbr/Ben <dbr....@...> wrote:
I was reading the release notes for Nuke,
http://thefoundry.s3.amazonaws.com/products/nuke/releases/7.0v1/7.0v1_ReleaseNotes.pdf
..and noticed a few items mentioning bug-fixes to OCIO nodes, like:

BUG ID 27628 - OCIO: OCIODisplay didn't update the Viewer correctly when
switching the layer control between all and custom layers.
Any one know if these changes are going to be commited back to the main
repo? Or if we should reproduce the bug and re-do the fixes, or something
like that

Since of course they have no obligation to share their modifications, I only
ask because at least one Foundry-dev contributed fixes already \o/
- Ben