Date

Review: docs for Blender and Sony Vegas Pro OCIO support

dbr/Ben <dbr....@...>

Documenting support for OCIO in latest stable release of Blender, and Sony Vegas Pro 12

https://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO/pull/305

Re: yaml-cpp 0.5.0

Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...>

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:
I think the plan is to stick with the existing API, until there is a
compelling reason to upgrade.

Is there any advantage to bumping up?
Not that I know of. And as long as nothing else in Fedora wants
yaml-cpp it doesn't really matter. The problem would be if another
package wanted/needed 0.5.0 then we would have to decide if it was
practical for all packages to use the same version of yaml-cpp or if
we would have to come up with a parallel installable package (no
namespace or file conflicts) which depending on upstream can be easy
or hard.

Richard

Re: yaml-cpp 0.5.0

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

I think the plan is to stick with the existing API, until there is a
compelling reason to upgrade.

Is there any advantage to bumping up?

-- Jeremy

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...> wrote:
I noticed that yaml-cpp 0.5.0 was released with the new API. Is there
a plan to move to the new API or stick with the 0.3.0 API?

Thanks,
Richard

--

yaml-cpp 0.5.0

Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...>

I noticed that yaml-cpp 0.5.0 was released with the new API. Is there
a plan to move to the new API or stick with the 0.3.0 API?

Thanks,
Richard

Re: photoshop config.ocio

Joe <joseph...@...>

Nishith,

sicne you are testing the screen output you can sample the color from the display.

on kde  looking linux you can use kcolorpicker
on the mac you can use DigitalColor Meter (in application utilities)

Color sync on the mac is very, or was very difficult to null out. You may wind up with differences in Photoshop and After Effects based on your display profile

-Joseph

On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 1:13:38 AM UTC-8, Nishith Singhai wrote:
Hi,

               1) By thumb rule a lg10 to srgb8 in nuke and lg10 to srgb8 in after effects should give the same result. true or false.
                2) what is the way to measure that output from nuke after applying lut is looking same as that of after effects. is there a measuring tool or is it based on the observation only.

I have a case where nuke output and after effect output although applying same ocio setting gives different look. What could I be missing.

On Friday, December 21, 2012 8:30:27 PM UTC+5:30, Nishith Singhai wrote:
thank you so far. I have installed fedora on virtualbox. Now come to need config.ocio for making icc for photoshop

ocio2icc does not work on it but i gues ociobakelut can give icc. So, downloading sample config files from

http://opencolorio.org/downloads.html, give for nuke and spi. Does photoshop need a specific config.ocio or will

any of the downloaded will do.

Re: photoshop config.ocio

dbr/Ben <dbr....@...>

On 25/12/2012, at 7:43 PM, Nishith Singhai wrote:
2) what is the way to measure that output from nuke after applying lut is looking same as that of after effects. is there a measuring tool or is it based on the observation only.
I found the most effective way is to run both applications on the same machine. Load the same image, and compare the two by toggling between each application (alt+tab or cmd+tab)

It's easy to align the images (with a bit of panning and zooming), so you can get a good A/B comparison between the applications.

If you can't run the two applications on the same host, connecting the two machines to the same monitor is the next best thing (but switching can take a few seconds, which makes a comparison hard). Failing that, you could try screenshoting both applications, or something like the "DigitalColor Meter" app on OS X, but these both introduce more steps that can go wrong

As Brendan said, the most likely culprit is the applications interpreting the source footage differently.. A 16-bit TIFF version of a test image (e.g Marcie!) is usually a good place to start, as most applications tend to load them without any unexpected conversions

Start of by checking the "raw" image is displayed the same in both applications, disabling any custom viewer-LUT's. When that matches, compare the LUT's.

Re: photoshop config.ocio

Brendan Bolles <bre...@...>

On Dec 25, 2012, at 1:13 AM, Nishith Singhai wrote:

1) By thumb rule a lg10 to srgb8 in nuke and lg10 to srgb8 in after effects should give the same result. true or false.
2) what is the way to measure that output from nuke after applying lut is looking same as that of after effects. is there a measuring tool or is it based on the observation only.

Nuke and After Effects have different color space defaults, so it's very easy to import the same file into each and get different results with OpenColorIO. In fact, to get the programs to match up you need a good understanding of how each works. I wish it were simpler.

A good thing to do is get an image with an area you can easily sample with your mouse (like the Marci image) and check to make sure the values match in each program. Both programs will show a readout of the pixel value you hover over (in After Effects it's in the Info palette).

Nuke defaults to linear color space and automatically converts most file formats to linear unless you check the "Raw Data" checkbox in the Read node. If you're using OCIO to do color conversions, you'll probably want to check that box in every case. Cineon/DPX files will default to log, EXR to linear, and most others to sRGB.

After Effects, on the other hand, defaults to no color space, which basically means your monitor's color space, or sRGB. The one exception is EXR files, which will get converted from linear to sRGB with the default setup unless you check "Preserve RGB". There's more information about this in the PDF manual included with the After Effects plug-in.

If you're still having trouble, let me ask: which kind of file are you importing?

Brendan

Re: photoshop config.ocio

Andrew Britton <andrew.d...@...>

One thing to check is that both the Nuke flow and photoshop color settings are using the same gamma curve and color gamut (i.e. make sure they're both in the same color space first). If you're working 'scene linear' in Nuke but not in Photoshop then I can easy imagine troubles will ensue.
Good luck!

On Dec 25, 2012, at 2:13 AM, Nishith Singhai <singha...@...> wrote:

[...]

I have found that photoshop doesn't need a specific ocio.config. Just create the ICC you need and it should load. A few people on here have commented that ICC profiles work best for integer type color bit depths.
And yes, ocio2icc has been folded into ociobakelut; that will create all the ICC profiles you need.

Nishith Singhai <singha...@...>

[...]

photoshop config.ocio

Nishith Singhai <singha...@...>

thank you so far. I have installed fedora on virtualbox. Now come to need config.ocio for making icc for photoshop

ocio2icc does not work on it but i gues ociobakelut can give icc. So, downloading sample config files from

http://opencolorio.org/downloads.html, give for nuke and spi. Does photoshop need a specific config.ocio or will

any of the downloaded will do.

Re: truelight compile error

Nishith Singhai <singha...@...>

Hi,

since i am testing i should download fedora as you already mentioned. However , just to know bit about this system i'm pasting error ( complete clipboard )

nishith@linux-r03u:~> cmake -D PYTHON:FILEPATH=python2 -D OCIO_BUILD_PYGLUE=NO -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/tmp/softwar/ocio /home/nishith/Downloads/imageworks-OpenColorIO-b3cb224
Python library: /usr/bin/python2
-- Could NOT find Truelight (missing:  Truelight_INCLUDE_DIR Truelight_LIBRARIES Truelight_LIBRARY_DIR)
-- Create OpenColorABI.h from OpenColorABI.h.in
-- Setting OCIO SOVERSION to: 1
-- Setting OCIO SOVERSION to: 1
-- Create OpenColorIO.pc from OpenColorIO.pc.in
-- OIIO not found. Specify OIIO_PATH to locate it
-- Found OpenGL library /usr/lib64/libGLU.so;/usr/lib64/libGL.so;/usr/lib64/libSM.so;/usr/lib64/libICE.so;/usr/lib64/libX11.so;/usr/lib64/libXext.so
-- Found OpenGL includes /usr/include
-- Found GLUT library /usr/lib64/libglut.so;/usr/lib64/libXmu.so;/usr/lib64/libXi.so
-- Found GLEW library /usr/lib64/libGLEW.so
-- Found GLEW includes /usr/include
-- Using bundled lcms.
-- Could NOT find Nuke (missing:  Nuke_INCLUDE_DIR Nuke_LIBRARIES Nuke_LIBRARY_DIR)
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/nishith
nishith@linux-r03u:~> make -j8
[  6%] [ 14%] [ 17%] Built target tinyxml
Built target LCMS
Built target YAML_CPP_LOCAL
[ 55%] [ 94%] Built target OpenColorIO_STATIC
Built target OpenColorIO
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `ext/dist/lib/liblcms2.a', needed by `src/apps/ociobakelut/ociobakelut'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [src/apps/ociobakelut/CMakeFiles/ociobakelut.dir/all] Error 2
[ 97%] Built target ociocheck
make: *** [all] Error 2
nishith@linux-r03u:~>

Brgds,

Nishith

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 11:52:36 PM UTC+5:30, Jeremy Selan wrote:
I am not sure why the python bindings are building on your system.

In the meantime, you can configure CMake to skip building them. This
should allow the build to succeed.
cmake -D OCIO_BUILD_PYGLUE=NO

-- Jeremy

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 2:38 AM, Nishith Singhai <sing...@...> wrote:
> Hello,
>

>          at present i am using suse. got it running so far
>
> .. OIIO not found. Specify OIIO_PATH to locate it ( this seems ok )
>
> but it halts at this point.
>
> Linking CXX shared module PyOpenColorIO.so
> [100%] Built target PyOpenColorIO
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> nishith@linux-r03u:~>
>
> need some feedback. Thank you.
>

> On Monday, December 17, 2012 6:48:49 PM UTC+5:30, Nishith Singhai wrote:
>>
>> following error occurs when compiling. I have only one question
>>
>> 1) Since i am not using truelight at present is it possible to avoid it
>> during compilation. How.
>>
>> 2) I have provided python library path yet error in highlight occurs. How
>> to get overcome this error
>>

>> nishith@linux-r03u:~> cmake -D PYTHON_LIBRARY=/usr/bin/python2 -D
>> CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/tmp/softwar/ocio
>> /home/nishith/Downloads/imageworks-OpenColorIO-b3cb224
>> Python library: /usr/bin/python2
>> -- Could NOT find Truelight (missing:  Truelight_INCLUDE_DIR
>> Truelight_LIBRARIES Truelight_LIBRARY_DIR)
>> -- Create OpenColorABI.h from OpenColorABI.h.in
>> -- Setting OCIO SOVERSION to: 1
>> -- Setting OCIO SOVERSION to: 1
>> -- Create OpenColorIO.pc from OpenColorIO.pc.in
>> -- OIIO not found. Specify OIIO_PATH to locate it
>> -- Could NOT find OpenGL (missing:  OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY)
>> -- OpenGL not found
>> -- Could NOT find GLUT (missing:  GLUT_glut_LIBRARY GLUT_INCLUDE_DIR)
>> -- GLUT not found
>> -- GLEW not found
>> -- Using bundled lcms.
>> -- Could NOT find Nuke (missing:  Nuke_INCLUDE_DIR Nuke_LIBRARIES
>> Nuke_LIBRARY_DIR)
>> -- Could NOT find PythonLibs (missing:  PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIRS)
>> FATALPython libraries were not found, exiting.
>> -- Setting PyOCIO SOVERSION to: 1
>> PYTHON_VARIANT_PATH: lib/python2.7/site-packages
>> -- Configuring done
>> -- Generating done
>> -- Build files have been written to: /home/nishith
>> nishith@linux-r03u:~> ^C
>>
> --

Re: truelight compile error

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

nishith@linux-r03u:~> cmake -D PYTHON_LIBRARY=/usr/bin/python2 -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/tmp/softwar/ocio /home/nishith/Downloads/imageworks-OpenColorIO-b3cb224
[...]

Review: nuke: Toolbar node population no longer conflicts with Foundry

Sean Looper <sean....@...>

Re: truelight compile error

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Hello.

The lack of Truelight is not causing an error in your build, the
warning is merely informational in case you had intended for it to be
used.

Your build is failing as a result of not being able to find python
headers. Do you know if you have the python headers installed on your
system? For example, when using yum package management you would
probably need "python-devel" installed. ( /usr/include/python2.6/ on
my system)

Alternatively, instead of specifying -D
PYTHON_LIBRARY=/usr/bin/python2 you could try -D
PYTHON:FILEPATH=python2

Also if you are using Fedora, or are on OSX you can install OCIO "the
easy way", as now clarified on the website
http://opencolorio.org/installation.html

-- Jeremy

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 5:18 AM, Nishith Singhai <singha...@...> wrote:
[...]

Re: Review: Visual Studio 2010 compile fix Edit

Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...>

Ok, comprehensive package analysis:

pkgdiff:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/pkgdiff/ocio/changes_report.html

abi-compliance-checker:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/pkgdiff/ocio/compat_report.html

I don't see anything that makes me believe the changes aren't safe
(minus the previously mentioned problem). At least on linux...

Richard

Re: Review: Visual Studio 2010 compile fix Edit

Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...>

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...> wrote:
I'm not sure if this is causing any issues:

diff --git a/src/core/PathUtils.cpp b/src/core/PathUtils.cpp
index a04ecee..4c944b1 100644
--- a/src/core/PathUtils.cpp
+++ b/src/core/PathUtils.cpp
@@ -49,10 +49,14 @@
#if defined(__APPLE__) && !defined(__IPHONE__)
#include <crt_externs.h> // _NSGetEnviron()
#elif !defined(WINDOWS)
-#include <unistd.h>
extern char **environ;
#endif

+#include <unistd.h>
+#if defined(__clang__)
+#include <unistd.h>
+#endif
I can confirm removing this commit fixes compilation on linux. I
haven't done any detailed analysis to see if there's any other
differences in the resultant package though.

Richard

Re: Review: Visual Studio 2010 compile fix Edit

Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...>

I'm not sure if this is causing any issues:

diff --git a/src/core/PathUtils.cpp b/src/core/PathUtils.cpp
index a04ecee..4c944b1 100644
--- a/src/core/PathUtils.cpp
+++ b/src/core/PathUtils.cpp
@@ -49,10 +49,14 @@
#if defined(__APPLE__) && !defined(__IPHONE__)
#include <crt_externs.h> // _NSGetEnviron()
#elif !defined(WINDOWS)
-#include <unistd.h>
extern char **environ;
#endif

+#include <unistd.h>
+#if defined(__clang__)
+#include <unistd.h>
+#endif

Is it a problem to include the same header twice? I'm not sure what we
should be doing differently for clang.

Richard

Re: Review: Visual Studio 2010 compile fix Edit

Richard Shaw <hobbe...@...>

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:
http://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO/pull/300

Frederik has submitted a bunch of changes related to Visual Studio
2010 compatibility and STATIC linking.

As this touches CMake mojo as used on linux / osx, would those
familiar with package management please check this request out?
Ok, first problem. When I apply the patch to 1.0.8 I get the following
on my Linux build:

cd /home/build/rpmbuild/OpenColorIO/BUILD/OpenColorIO-1.0.8/build/docs/setuptools-prefix/src/setuptools
&& /usr/bin/cmake -E touch
/home/build/rpmbuild/OpenColorIO/BUILD/OpenColorIO-1.0.8/build/docs/setuptools-prefix/src/setuptools-stamp/setuptools-build
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report
/home/build/rpmbuild/OpenColorIO/BUILD/OpenColorIO-1.0.8/build/CMakeFiles
/home/build/rpmbuild/OpenColorIO/BUILD/OpenColorIO-1.0.8/src/core/PathUtils.cpp:52:15:
error: previous declaration of 'char** environ' with 'C++' linkage
In file included from
/home/build/rpmbuild/OpenColorIO/BUILD/OpenColorIO-1.0.8/src/core/PathUtils.cpp:55:0:
/usr/include/unistd.h:546:15: error: conflicts with new declaration
with 'C' linkage
/home/build/rpmbuild/OpenColorIO/BUILD/OpenColorIO-1.0.8/src/core/PathUtils.cpp:
In function 'std::string OpenColorIO::v1::pystring::os::getcwd()':
/home/build/rpmbuild/OpenColorIO/BUILD/OpenColorIO-1.0.8/src/core/PathUtils.cpp:125:33:
warning: ignoring return value of 'char* getcwd(char*, size_t)',
declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
make[2]: *** [src/core/CMakeFiles/OpenColorIO.dir/PathUtils.cpp.o] Error 1

Richard

1061 - 1080 of 2226