Date

SIGGRAPH 2019 - OpenColorIO Birds of a Feather

Michael Dolan

Hello all,

We held the OpenColorIO Birds of a Feather yesterday at SIGGRAPH in LA. Thank you to everyone who could join us! We directly followed the ACES BoF and both events had very good attendance. For those who couldn't be there, we recorded the meeting and will make the video available following SIGGRAPH.

I opened the BoF with a project update covering our ASWF incubation status, related improvements to the OCIO build and CI systems, and a summary of Thomas Mansencal's work on the ACES 1.1 OCIO config. Doug Walker and Patrick Hodoul then outlined their progress and roadmap for OCIO v2, as well as discussing support for new pixel formats, ACES output transforms, CLF, and measurable CPU renderer performance gains. Lastly, Mark Boorer gave an overview of his work on the companion OpenColorMath library, covering its design, interface, and vision for where to take it next.

The presentation slides are attached to this thread, where you can find a detailed outline of the information presented. Feel free to respond with any questions or points of discussion.

I wanted to also give a big thanks to Emily Olin, John Mertic, and the rest of the Linux Foundation team for skillfully organizing this event (as well as 9 other open source BoF meetings for Open Source Day!).

Thanks!

Cancelled Event: OpenColorIO TSC meeting (weekly) - Monday, 29 July 2019 #cal-cancelled

ocio-dev@lists.aswf.io Calendar <ocio-dev@...>

Cancelled: OpenColorIO TSC meeting (weekly)

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Monday, 29 July 2019
9:30am to 10:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/924729729

Organizer:
michdolan@...

Weekly meeting of the OpenColorIO TSC.

Add topics to the meeting agenda.

Meeting notes listed by YYYY-MM-DD.md format at:
https://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO/tree/master/docs/tsc/meetings

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/924729729

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,924729729# US (San Jose)
+16465588656,,924729729# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 877 369 0926 US Toll-free
        +1 855 880 1246 US Toll-free
Meeting ID: 924 729 729
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abo9cwSMxj

Re: TruelightTransform?

Patrick Hodoul

> A transform plugin API

When looking for the plugin keyword in the former ocio-dev from google group, I found several threads with some around ExpresssionTransform. Is that the same discussion?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/ocio-dev/plugin%7Csort:date/ocio-dev/n2t5I3gpY94/PSFJkdbTRS8J
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/ocio-dev/plugin%7Csort:date/ocio-dev/IYAWizXEJfM/Q0kjpVkrSTYJ

> Regarding TrueLight, it seems like we're in agreement that it should be removed.

That's a good 'good first issue' defect :-)

Re: R3D support?

Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka@...>

It’s a proprietary binary blob with a license that is utterly incompatible.

With respect,
TJS

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 3:03 PM Alex Hughes <alex@...> wrote:
Oof I posted this in OCIO not OIIO

Please ignore :S

Re: R3D support?

Alex Hughes

Oof I posted this in OCIO not OIIO

Please ignore :S

R3D support?

Alex Hughes

Hey I was wondering if OIIO supports reading r3d files.

I was looking through the release notes for libraw and that states that it could read r3d files.
https://www.libraw.org/node/1299

However, that was in 2011 and I would imagine things could have changed since then.

My oiiotool seems to seg fault when I try to read r3d files and I was wondering if ti was even supposed to support r3d or if my build was just broken in some way.

I know Red likes to sell their SDK, but I was sort of hoping that LibRaw had an implementation that we could rely on.

Thanks
-Alex

Re: TruelightTransform?

Michael Dolan

Thanks for your input everyone, and for the background Malcolm. A transform plugin API sounds like a good topic to resurrect. If there isn't an issue in GH (I did a quick search, but didn't see one), it would be worth starting one for further discussion.

Regarding TrueLight, it seems like we're in agreement that it should be removed.

OCIO Birds of a Feather 2019

Michael Dolan

If you're attending SIGGRAPH in LA this year, we hope you'll join us for the OpenColorIO Birds of a Feather!

We'll be presenting updates on the ASWF adoption process, recent and upcoming work toward OCIO v2, and some other exciting developments from within the community. There will also be time for questions and discussion. If you can't make it, we'll be recording the event and will share the video following SIGGRAPH.

The OCIO BoF is a part of Open Source Day at SIGGRAPH, which is being hosted by the ASWF. Our time slot is directly following the ACES BoF in the same room. Learn more about Open Source Day here: https://www.aswf.io/siggraph2019/

This is a great opportunity to connect face to face and learn how you can get involved in the project. It's been a very productive year, and next year is poised to continue that trend. Thank you to everyone who has participated. See you in LA!

Event details:
Tuesday, 30 July 2019, 3pm - 4pm
Diamond Ballroom 7-10, JW Marriott

Re: Ninja build fails, Unix Makefile build works

Gonzalo Garramuño

El 19/7/19 a las 11:13, Patrick Hodoul escribió:
Hi Gonzalo,

For the Windows platform jom (https://wiki.qt.io/Jom) is perfectly working. I faced the same problem without having enough time to dig in.

Patrick

Patrick, thanks for the tip about jom (didn't know it existed).  However, my problem was compiling on linux.
--
Gonzalo Garramuño

Re: Inverting a 3D LUT

Patrick Hodoul

Hi Brendan,

The pull request is now alive (refer to 769).

To select the 'fast' or 'exact' mode, there is an enumeration 'FinalizationFlags' (in 'include/OpenColorIO/OpenColorTypes.h') used by the method 'Processor::getOptmizedCPUProcessor()' (in 'include/OpenColorIO/openColorIO.h').

Regards,
Patrick

Re: Ninja build fails, Unix Makefile build works

Patrick Hodoul

Hi Gonzalo,

For the Windows platform jom (https://wiki.qt.io/Jom) is perfectly working. I faced the same problem without having enough time to dig in.

Patrick

Join us for Beers of a Feather at SIGGRAPH

Emily Olin <eolin@...>

Hi all - please join us for the ASWF Beers of a Feather at SIGGRAPH. The invite is below. Also, check out the Open Source Day we've put together at SIGGRAPH - a full day of open source project BoFs!

Ninja build fails, Unix Makefile build works

Gonzalo Garramuño

I have tried to compile OpenColorIO with the Ninja generator and it fails with:

FAILED: ext/Yaml-cpp-prefix/src/Yaml-cpp-stamp/Yaml-cpp-build ext/dist/lib/libyaml-cpp.a
cd /media/gga/Datos/code/applications/mrv/dependencies/imageworks-OpenColorIO-67cb724/build-fails/ext/build/yaml-cpp && /usr/bin/cmake --build . && /usr/bin/cmake -E touch /media/gga/Datos/code/applications/mrv/dependencies/imageworks-OpenColorIO-67cb724/build-fails/ext/Yaml-cpp-prefix/src/Yaml-cpp-stamp/Yaml-cpp-build
ninja: error: build.ninja:296: bad $-escape (literal $ must be written as $$)

The line that fails in build.ninja says:

COMMAND = cd /media/gga/Datos/code/applications/mrv/dependencies/imageworks-OpenColorIO-67cb724/build-fails/ext/build/yaml-cpp && $(MAKE) clean && /usr/bin/cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release /media/gga/Datos/code/applications/mrv/dependencies/imageworks-OpenColorIO-67cb724/build-fails/ext/Yaml-cpp-prefix/src/Yaml-cpp

The Unix Makefile generator, however, works just fine.  It seems $(MAKE) clean is the culprit here.

Cancelled Event: OpenColorIO TSC meeting (weekly) - Monday, 1 July 2019 #cal-cancelled

ocio-dev@lists.aswf.io Calendar <ocio-dev@...>

Cancelled: OpenColorIO TSC meeting (weekly)

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Monday, 1 July 2019
9:30am to 10:00am
(GMT-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/924729729

Organizer:
michdolan@...

Weekly meeting of the OpenColorIO TSC.

Add topics to the meeting agenda.

Meeting notes listed by YYYY-MM-DD.md format at:
https://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO/tree/master/docs/tsc/meetings

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/924729729

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,924729729# US (San Jose)
+16465588656,,924729729# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 877 369 0926 US Toll-free
        +1 855 880 1246 US Toll-free
Meeting ID: 924 729 729
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abo9cwSMxj

Cancelled Event: OpenColorIO TSC meeting (weekly) - Monday, 24 June 2019 #cal-cancelled

ocio-dev@lists.aswf.io Calendar <ocio-dev@...>

Cancelled: OpenColorIO TSC meeting (weekly)

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Monday, 24 June 2019
[...]

Malcolm Humphreys

I would say that why we left it in was around the discussion of a plugin API and using it as an example.

I would very much like a transform plugin API to make the integration of a grade database into all clients possible without the need to wrap ocio or write this to disk.

Additionaly when lighting there is also a need to apply a blacklevel lift separately to the CG before apply the display transform on both the CG and the background plate. As this blacklevel (or min density) changes per plate this is another area having a database is cleaner and a plugin API could help.

.malcolm

On Mon., 17 Jun. 2019, 22:23 Alex Hughes, <alex@...> wrote:
Agreed, I have not had a hard use case for it either

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 7:32 PM Malcolm Humphreys <malcolmhumphreys@...> wrote:
As the writer of the Truelight transform. I have not used it in about 8 or so years. I would be surprised if it still works.

I think it would be a much cleaner API to remove it.

Gets my vote.

.malcolm

On Mon., 17 Jun. 2019, 19:18 Sean Cooper, <sean@...> wrote:
Its existence is no doubt tied to the tremendous utility that Truelight served to photochechemical-film workflows at the time OCIO was originally authored by Mr.Selan.

I think the industry has moved far beyond its dependence on Truelight, and even where it does find a home (even us occasionally) there are a 1001 ways to get your transforms represented in an OCIO-friendly manner...

I say, thank you for your wonderful service Truelight, but its time to bid you adieu

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 6:13 PM Michael Dolan <michdolan@...> wrote:
As a general poll, is anyone out there using OCIO's TruelightTransform? The question of whether this functionality should continue to be supported in future versions of OCIO has come up a number of times. If you have a strong opinion either way, please let us know.

Thanks,
Michael

Re: TruelightTransform?

Alex Hughes

[...]

Sean Cooper

[...]

Sloan, Blake

I had no idea an OCIO Truelight transform existed. ​My vote would be for it to be deprecated/removed unless a case can be made for OCIO having transforms named for commercial products -- or for Truelight being made a special case.

-blake

As a general poll, is anyone out there using OCIO's TruelightTransform? The question of whether this functionality should continue to be supported in future versions of OCIO has come up a number of times. If you have a strong opinion either way, please let us know.

Thanks,
Michael

381 - 400 of 2201