Date

Re: Question about IIF config

dbr/Ben <dbr....@...>

On 28/10/2011, at 1:15, Marie Fétiveau <m...@...> wrote:

compare the resulting LUT (using a VectorField node) with the output of a OCIOColorspace node, there a noticable shift.
The Vectorfield node is a bit buggy - even if you write out a no-op lut (CMS test pattern->GenerateLUT) you get a luminance shift with several formats:

http://opencolorio.org/FAQ.html#what-are-the-differences-between-nuke-s-vectorfield-and-ociofiletransform

Anyway, on the way out I noticed a bug in ociobakeLut using the --cubesize option and exporting 3dl : the header is always computed for 17 segments.
Think the "ociobakut --format flame" and lustre 3dl bakers have fixed cube sizes, as I guess the applications only accept these sized LUT's?

If that's true, would be easy to add a more generic --format 3dl that respects the cube size (and have the flame/lustre formats error usefully of you try and change the cube size)

Re: OCIO 1.0 Build Issues On Snow Leopard

dbr/Ben <dbr....@...>

Could try with a clean build directory - I seem to recall having the same error when I just ran git pull and rerun "cmake .... && make build"

On 28/10/2011, at 6:37, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:

I've built OCIO successfully on a clean install of snow leopard. Was
this a clean installation or an upgrade (for the OS install)?

-- Jeremy

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Jordan Soles <jor...@...> wrote:
Hi All,
Wish I could have figured this out myself (I had no issues building pre-1.0
source on my MacBook Air Snow Leopard laptop, but I'm having issues building
the latest 1.0 source now.
I'm not doing anything crazy, and cmake actually doesn't complain at
all...but once I start the make I get the following error when the library
linking occurs:

Linking CXX shared module PyOpenColorIO.so
i686-apple-darwin10-g++-4.2.1: -compatibility_version only allowed with
-dynamiclib
make[2]: *** [src/pyglue/PyOpenColorIO.1.0.0.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/pyglue/CMakeFiles/PyOpenColorIO.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

...any ideas?
Thanks,
Jordan

Re: OCIO 1.0 Build Issues On Snow Leopard

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Jordan Soles <jor...@...>

Hi All,

Wish I could have figured this out myself (I had no issues building pre-1.0 source on my MacBook Air Snow Leopard laptop, but I'm having issues building the latest 1.0 source now.

I'm not doing anything crazy, and cmake actually doesn't complain at all...but once I start the make I get the following error when the library linking occurs:

Linking CXX shared module PyOpenColorIO.so
i686-apple-darwin10-g++-4.2.1: -compatibility_version only allowed with -dynamiclib
make[2]: *** [src/pyglue/PyOpenColorIO.1.0.0.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/pyglue/CMakeFiles/PyOpenColorIO.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

...any ideas?

Thanks,
Jordan

Re: Question about IIF config

Marie Fétiveau <m...@...>

Great :)
That's much much better.
Thanks a lot !
I still have some small differencies comparing OCIOColorspaceNode and my two TuttleCTL nodes.
But I need to compare with CTLRender just to be sure it's not a pb with TuttleCTL.

I have another pb. When I export a 3DLUT thanks to ociobakeLut and compare the resulting LUT (using a VectorField node) with the output of a OCIOColorspace node, there a noticable shift.
Here's my command : ociobakelut --inputspace aces --outputspace rrt_sRGB --format flame aces_to_ODT_sRGB.3dl

Assuming it's a LUT approximation problem, I tried to export 32, 64 and 128 segments LUTs. And indeed, the more I add segments, the less the shift is important.
But even at 128 segments (which is huge), there's still a tiny shift.

May be the RRT is so complex that a linear sampled LUT couldn't be enough ?

Anyway, on the way out I noticed a bug in ociobakeLut using the --cubesize option and exporting 3dl : the header is always computed for 17 segments.
For exemple with cubesize=32 :
header = 0 64 128 192 256 320 384 448 512 575 639 703 767 831 895 959 1023
should be = 0   33   66   99   132   165   198   231   264   297   330   363   396   429   462   495   528   561   594   627   660   693   726   759   792   825   858   891   924   957   990   1023

Thanks again.

Marie

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:
I just rolled out a new iif profile, with updated 3dluts.

You'll note that inside the iif profile (in the lutimages subdir) are
the lattice images used to bake the rrt / odt into 3d luts. So you
should be able to use these image to bake any rrts you may be using
into a lut suitable for inclusion in the profile.

Please let me know if, using this updated approach, you are not able
to recreate an identical result.

-- Jeremy

2011/10/4 Marie Fétiveau <m...@...>:
[...]

Updated IIF Color Configuration

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

The IIF color configuration has been updated to match the ut11
Reference Rendering Transform (RRT).

- Alex can probably better speak to the differences, but the major
visual difference in this RRT (compared to the prior OCIO profile) is
that high saturation inputs now maintain their luminance in the
rendered image, rather than being handled in a filmic (non-linear)
manner.

- This configuration addresses the color 'popping to magenta' issue
that was present in the prior OCIO IIF profile.

- This configuration includes the CTL / image reference used in
profile creation.

- Now that the IIF -> OCIO pipeline has been smoothed out (on our
end), we'll be much better able to stay in sync with IIF RRT
developments.

Download available:
http://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO-Configs/zipball/master
http://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO-Configs/tarball/master

-- Jeremy

Maya Viewport 2.0

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Does anyone have any experience with Maya Viewport 2.0 color
management? We'd like to get the Maya / OCIO integration ball
rolling, and wondered who here has experience in that area.

-- Jeremy

JOBS: Sony Pictures Imageworks - Color Scientist

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Hello!

Unfortunately, Joseph Slomka has decided to move on from Imageworks so
we're looking for a new color scientist (details below).

Please email me off-list if you have any referrals or specific questions.

Thanks!

-- Jeremy

Posting JOBS to ocio-dev

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

I'd like to encourage folks to utilize the ocio-dev as a resource for
job postings. The ocio-dev list is rather focused, so it seems nice
to be able to take advantage of it when a company is looking to fill a
color-specific role.

May I suggest the following guidelines for postings jobs to ocio-dev:

- Subject: "JOBS: ..."
- Postings must *directly* relate to color management in film
production, visual effects, animation, or gaming. Generic job
postings for lighters / compers / developers are not appropriate.

If anyone has any objections to this use of ocio-dev, please let me
know. Otherwise, I'll be posting another message momentarily... ;)

-- Jeremy

Re: CMake help

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Good to know, thanks!

-- Jeremy

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Ciaran <ciaran...@...> wrote:
I used the LD_PRELOAD hack to get around it - actually this is just a
manifestation of the more general nuke plugins linking to other libraries
linking issue and I'm not sure changing the rpath is the correct solution
anyway...

Re: CMake help

Ciaran <ciaran...@...>

I used the LD_PRELOAD hack to get around it - actually this is just a manifestation of the more general nuke plugins linking to other libraries linking issue and I'm not sure changing the rpath is the correct solution anyway...

Re: CMake help

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Was hoping someone else would field this question...

Have you been able to figure it out yet? What platform are you on?
I'm not much of a cmake expert, unfortunately.

Are you familiar with readelf -a ? Check out runpath and rpath, and
if the nuke libs dir is being compiled in or not.

I also know that cmake variables that affect the rpath are:
INSTALL_RPATH_USE_LINK_PATH
along with
CMAKE_PLATFORM_IMPLICIT_LINK_DIRECTORIES

(where the all directories
listed in CMAKE_PLATFORM_IMPLICIT_LINK_DIRECTORIES will be removed
from the install RPATH)

-- Jeremy

Re: AllocationVars?

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

FYI - I've updated the website with the previous response to the
question. (In the upcoming weeks I'll be adding even more info /
examples about creating color configurations).

http://opencolorio.org/configurations/allocation_vars.html

-- Jeremy

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Ciaran <ciaran...@...> wrote:
Could anybody say a little about what ColorSpace::setAllocation() and
ColorSpace::setAllocationVars() do?

I'm starting to get up and running writing my own luts into the spi1d format
for converting from float scene-linear to various outputs, which makes sense
so far.  I was cribbing from the spi-vfx python script which sets these and
I've found fiddling with the numbers drastically alters the quality of my
output.  I'm guessing this affects the resolution of some internal data used
for HDR->LDR but browsing the code doesn't make it clear how it works.  And
what is the origin of the [-15.0, 6.0] values used in spi-vfx?

CMake help

Ciaran <ciaran...@...>

Sorry, cmake is brand new to me and I figured it would be quicker to ask...

What would be the proper way to tell cmake to build the nuke plugins linking to the versions of libraries (libstdc++ etc) in the nuke install rather than the system ones?

2011/10/4 Marie Fétiveau <m...@...>:

[...]

Question about IIF config

[...]

OpenColorIO Version 1.0 is released

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>

Friends,

We've just officially released version 1.0, now available for download here:
http://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO/zipball/v1.0.0
http://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO/tarball/v1.0.0

I would recommend all users bump up to this version at their
convenience. We've been using it internally since RC1 was released,
and have not run into any difficulties.

The changes against 1.0RC1 are minimal (the only one of note is a fix
related to Truelight LUT reading).

Enjoy!