Date   

Color space transform bidirectionality

Alan Jones <sky...@...>
 

Hi All,

I'm just reading through the Nuke plugin to get an idea of the API and
how things
are supposed to work together.

I notice that it adds all color spaces to both the input and output.
This assumes
that all color transforms can be reversed. I was under the impression that some
transforms would not be. Is there any facility within OCIO's current design for
this?

Cheers,

Alan.


Re: Color space transform bidirectionality

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>
 

Alan,

OCIO is being a bit clever under the hood, though in my opinion not in
a dangerous way.

OCIO's currently approach is that to make colorspace definitions
"convenient", we assumes inverse color transforms are allowed when the
round-trip can automatically be made 100% accurately. I.e, if your
colorspace definition is only built from cleanly invertible ops
(simple cc math, matrix ops, log, 1D lookup tables), and is round-trip
safe, the inverse transform is allowed. If your colorspace definition
relies on 3D LUTs, any attempt to run the inverse transform will fail
during the getProcessor call. (If you try to add a 3d lut to nuke and
try to perform the inverse you'll see this). I'd love to figure out
a way to make this more explicit in the API. Suggestions?

The reason we defer the inverse 3d lut check to this late part in the
API is to allow for the following interesting possibility.

Say you have 2 display emulation colorspaces defined as follows.

srgb: (A normal filmlook)
lin_to_log.lut1d
log_to_srgb.lut3d

srgb_warm: (A warmer filmlook varient).
lin_to_log.lut1d
log_to_srgb.lut3d
warm.mtx


Say you have pixels in a baked srgb representation, and you wanted to
view them with the warm look. Internally, our processing chain would
look like:
INPUT -> inverse log_to_srgb.lut3d -> inverse lin_to_log.lut1d ->
lin_to_log.lut1d -> log_to_srgb.lut3d -> warm.mtx -> OUTPUT

But, OCIO ( will soon) optimize this to a simplified conversion:
INPUT -> warm.mtx -> OUTPUT

This particular color space transformation, although conceptually
requiring an inverse 3d lut, doesnt actually end up using it!
Which is pretty cool, and really convenient in practice.

This is why in Nuke we just blindly added all color spaces to both the
input and output side, to allow for these circumstances. I can see
this is subtle though, and potentially misleading from a new user
perspective.

Thoughts?

-- Jeremy

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Alan Jones <sky...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm just reading through the Nuke plugin to get an idea of the API and
how things
are supposed to work together.

I notice that it adds all color spaces to both the input and output.
This assumes
that all color transforms can be reversed. I was under the impression that some
transforms would not be. Is there any facility within OCIO's current design for
this?

Cheers,

Alan.


Re: Color space transform bidirectionality

Alan Jones <sky...@...>
 

Hi Jeremy,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:
OCIO's currently approach is that to make colorspace definitions
"convenient", we assumes inverse color transforms are allowed when the
round-trip can automatically be made 100% accurately.
For practical purposes those are all probably invertible, but even a 1D lut
can lose information (such as everything below black point getting pushed
to 0 - though seeing that information isn't required it doesn't really matter).
I'm not a fan of putting too much effort into protecting users from their own
stupidity ;) An uninvertible matrix could also happen, but again, probably
not in practice.

I'd love to figure out
a way to make this more explicit in the API. Suggestions?
That depends - you make a good usage case that somewhat goes out the
window. The only real solution (which unfortunately cuts down your options
for processing shortcuts and also limits what LUTs you can bring in) I can
think of is something like follows.

A color space is defined and it is always defined relative to scene referred
linear. This way for each space it knows how to convert to or from scene
referred and nothing else. Then when it registers it can say which directions
it can handle.

You kind of also need to define types of LUTs at this point though. I'm
thinking of three. Storage LUTs (which pull data two and from representations
used for storage, such as S-Log etc), Grading LUTs (which are designed to
apply a particular look whether that's a color grade or a film transfer
representation), and Display LUTs (which modify values to ensure that it
displays correctly on a given device - i.e. sRGB, Rec709 etc).

With this storage LUTs would go from whatever their storage form across to
scene referred linear usually (though you'd use the reverse for saving
perhaps) then
the grading LUTs would make any changes to the color (if you had some magical
linear display then this data would look correct on that display, but
the grading
LUTs wouldn't be used until the end as not to screw the radiometric
linearity of
your data). The finally with that data you apply the display LUT for your output
device.

So it'd be
1 Storage LUT
0+ Grading LUTs
1 Display LUT
as the common workflow.

I've got no idea how well this aligns with the design goals of OCIO as I'm just
getting familiar with it, but that's how I'd look at structuring
things to help define
the process so it's more accessible to less technical users. It's pretty much
what I'm planning on putting in place in the pipeline I'm building
here, but on a
pipeline wide scale where at ingest everything is shifted to
radiometrically linear
space and stored in float (well probably half-float for most cases) on
disk. Then
people working in lighting/comp would have grading+display LUTs applied on
the fly so they're looking at as close to final as possible.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Alan.


OCIO 0.5.13 posted

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>
 

Version 0.5.13 (Aug 18 2010):
* GPU Processing now supports High Dynamic Range color spaces
* Added log processing operator, and updates to many other ops
* Numerous bug fixes + updates to python glue
* Exposed PyOpenColorIO header, for use in apps that require
custom python glue
* Matrix op is optimized for diagonal-only subcases
* Numerous updates to Nuke Plugins (now with an addition node,
OCIODisplay)

All code available from github and google code (as usual).

We're in the process of porting Katana (our internal lighting and
compositing tool) to OCIO, and work is progressing well. (Our target
completion date is mid Sept). Katana happens to be a nice testbed for
OCIO development - utilizing both the GPU + CPU code paths, and also
having a prior (similar) color management implementation as a
reference sanity check).


Re: Color space transform bidirectionality

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>
 

Alan,

Sorry for the delay in responding. (Had to attend to non-OCIO
responsibilities this week).

The approach you describe is exactly in line with what I've been
thinking. Excellent.

A few additions:

You refer to the different LUT types as "storage, grading, and
display". In the currently library we dont draw hard lines between
the different transform uses. All three of these would be color
spaces, and are treated equally in the code. Adapting your terminology
to OCIO, "storage" color spaces would always provide transforms both
to and from scene linear, display color spaces typically would only
define a transform from scene linear, and grading spaces would be
defined dynamically at runtime. But there's no code-level distinction
between the types. Is there any benefit to doing so? I've been
thinking about adding
metadata (tags) that will let the user tag color spaces as belonging
to different categories. (such as 'display', 'IO', etc). This would
probably help in the UI (you could filter by tag), but I cant think of
any other uses so it's a bit low on the priority list.

* You refer to these things all as LUTs. I'd prefer to just call
them "transforms" to leave open the possibility of other correction
math. (For example, the grading lut could just as easily be a 1D lut,
a 3D lut, or a ASC-CDL).

Your processing pipeline is already expressed in the DisplayTransform.
You specify the storage LUT (inputColorSpace), the displayLut
(outputColorSpace), and also optional color correction(s). (Which
can occur in any color space, including scene linear or a log-like DI
space). The Nuke OCIODisplay node provides an example of using this
API.

-- Jeremy

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Alan Jones <sky...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jeremy,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:
OCIO's currently approach is that to make colorspace definitions
"convenient", we assumes inverse color transforms are allowed when the
round-trip can automatically be made 100% accurately.
For practical purposes those are all probably invertible, but even a 1D lut
can lose information (such as everything below black point getting pushed
to 0 - though seeing that information isn't required it doesn't really matter).
I'm not a fan of putting too much effort into protecting users from their own
stupidity ;) An uninvertible matrix could also happen, but again, probably
not in practice.

I'd love to figure out
a way to make this more explicit in the API. Suggestions?
That depends - you make a good usage case that somewhat goes out the
window. The only real solution (which unfortunately cuts down your options
for processing shortcuts and also limits what LUTs you can bring in) I can
think of is something like follows.

A color space is defined and it is always defined relative to scene referred
linear. This way for each space it knows how to convert to or from scene
referred and nothing else.  Then when it registers it can say which directions
it can handle.

You kind of also need to define types of LUTs at this point though. I'm
thinking of three. Storage LUTs (which pull data two and from representations
used for storage, such as S-Log etc), Grading LUTs (which are designed to
apply a particular look whether that's a color grade or a film transfer
representation), and Display LUTs (which modify values to ensure that it
displays correctly on a given device - i.e. sRGB, Rec709 etc).

With this storage LUTs would go from whatever their storage form across to
scene referred linear usually (though you'd use the reverse for saving
perhaps) then
the grading LUTs would make any changes to the color (if you had some magical
linear display then this data would look correct on that display, but
the grading
LUTs wouldn't be used until the end as not to screw the radiometric
linearity of
your data). The finally with that data you apply the display LUT for your output
device.

So it'd be
1 Storage LUT
0+ Grading LUTs
1 Display LUT
as the common workflow.

I've got no idea how well this aligns with the design goals of OCIO as I'm just
getting familiar with it, but that's how I'd look at structuring
things to help define
the process so it's more accessible to less technical users. It's pretty much
what I'm planning on putting in place in the pipeline I'm building
here, but on a
pipeline wide scale where at ingest everything is shifted to
radiometrically linear
space and stored in float (well probably half-float for most cases) on
disk. Then
people working in lighting/comp would have grading+display LUTs applied on
the fly so they're looking at as close to final as possible.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Alan.


Re: Color space transform bidirectionality

Alan Jones <sky...@...>
 

Hi Jeremy,

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry for the delay in responding. (Had to attend to non-OCIO
responsibilities this week).
No worries :)

The approach you describe is exactly in line with what I've been
thinking. Excellent.
This is great news :)

But there's no code-level distinction
between the types.  Is there any benefit to doing so?
I agree, the only benefit is from a UI perspective to assist the user
in not doing something stupid. Downside to this is sometimes
there is a good reason to do something stupid. So perhaps it would
be best to go for some middle road (listing the logical ones first and
including the type of all transforms for instance).

I'd prefer to just call them "transforms" to leave open the possibility of other correction
math.  (For example, the grading lut could just as easily be a 1D lut,
a 3D lut, or a ASC-CDL).
Sounds like a logical choice of terminology to me.

Your processing pipeline is already expressed in the DisplayTransform.
 You specify the storage LUT (inputColorSpace), the displayLut
(outputColorSpace),  and also optional color correction(s).  (Which
can occur in any color space, including scene linear or a log-like DI
space).  The Nuke OCIODisplay node provides an example of using this
API.
Great stuff :) thanks for sharing. Slowly getting my head around how OCIO
works.

Cheers,

Alan


OCIO 0.5.14 posted

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>
 

Version 0.5.14 (Sept 1 2010):
* Python binding enhancements
* Simplified class implementations (reduced internal header count)

Most changes this week were internal, all API changes were binary
compatible additions.
(Which is a good sign, considering a stable 0.6 is fast approaching!)

-- Jeremy


Re: [ocs-dev] Re: Supporting 1D luts which are different per channel

Malcolm Humphreys <malcolmh...@...>
 

Hi,

Just looking at this again, one thing we didn't cover was a prelut which has non-uniform spaced points (scattered). Would you see this as support we would need to add to the Lut1DOp or would this end up being a different op type.

This is a simple example from the csp spec.
--snip--
Map extended input (max. 4.0) into top 10% of LUT

11
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 4.0
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 1.0
11
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 4.0
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 1.0
11
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 4.0
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 1.0
--snip--

A more complex example could be
--snip--
11
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.45 0.5 0.8 0.85 1.0 4.0
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.55 0.6 0.7 0.9 1.0
--snip--

.malcolm

On 22/07/2010, at 12:39 PM, Malcolm Humphreys wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

oops never mind looks like it will support it.

Yep it all looks ok to me, just really feel like spliting out the
non-core stuff into a plugin or similar dir.

For now I think nearest iterp is fine as we normally have enough
points for 10bits in all channels, we have used Catmull-Rom in
the past. As we will be only using this for viewing scene linear it
should be ok in the short term.

I don't need 4 channel luts, but other people might.

.malcolm

On Jul 22, 1:53 am, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Malcolm,

I believe the 1D lut op does allow for a different number of entries
per channel.
If we look at src/core/Lut1DOp.h,

you'll see the entry for each color channel lut is stored in an
individual vector: fv_t luts[3].
So in your loading code (if we hardcoded the sizes used in your example),

lut1d->luts[0].resize(11);
lut1d->luts[1].resize(6);
lut1d->luts[2].resize(6);

Does the rest of the Format loading code make sense to you? All your
work should be in a single file, a la FileFormat3DL.

A few additional questions for you:

* Currently, OCIO only support linear and nearest interpolation for 1D
luts. If the examples you've given are typical (where the 1d lut is
size 6) I couldnt imagine linear interpolation would suffice, and I'd
also imagine that the interpolation type chosen would highly influence
the resulting image. Does CSP dictate the interpolation type? What
type would you prefer? I have no problem adding higher types (cubic,
etc) I just hadnt had the need to yet. (Note that the .3dl shaper 1D
lut also has this issue (it's often size 17), I just hadnt tackled it
yet.)

* Do you care about 4 channel luts? (I.e., changing alpha) We've
never needed this at SPI, which is why the OCIO currently assumes 3
channels, but if other people think its important for completeness
sake Im open to it.

-- Jeremy

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Malcolm Humphreys

<malcolmh...@mac.com> wrote:
Hi,
I started looking at adding csp lut format to ocio.
A csp lut allows a 1D prelut with a different number of points per channel. The
current Lut1DOp only supports applying the same 1D lut to all channels.
I'm wondering if this is something you were thinking of supporting in ocio?
--snip--
Access LUT data via a gamma lookup
Red channel has gamma 2.0
Green channel has gamma 3.0 but also has fewer points
Blue channel has gamma 2.0 but also has fewer points
11
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 1.0
0.0 0.01 0.04 0.09 0.16 0.25 0.36 0.49 0.64 0.81 1.0
6
0.0 0.2 0.4 0.6 0.8 1.0
0.0 0.008 0.064 0.216 0.512 1.0
6
0.0 0.2 0.4 0.6 0.8 1.0
0.0 0.04 0.16 0.36 0.64 1.0
--snip--
.malcolm


Re: [ocs-dev] Re: Supporting 1D luts which are different per channel

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>
 

Definitely a new Op. How about Spline1DOp?

-- Jeremy

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Malcolm Humphreys
<malcolmh...@mac.com> wrote:
Hi,

Just looking at this again, one thing we didn't cover was a prelut which has non-uniform spaced points (scattered). Would you see this as support we would need to add to the Lut1DOp or would this end up being a different op type.

This is a simple example from the csp spec.
--snip--
Map extended input (max. 4.0) into top 10% of LUT

11
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 4.0
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 1.0
11
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 4.0
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 1.0
11
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 4.0
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 1.0
--snip--

A more complex example could be
--snip--
11
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.45 0.5 0.8 0.85 1.0 4.0
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.55 0.6 0.7 0.9 1.0
--snip--

.malcolm


On 22/07/2010, at 12:39 PM, Malcolm Humphreys wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

oops never mind looks like it will support it.

Yep it all looks ok to me, just really feel like spliting out the
non-core stuff into a plugin or similar dir.

For now I think nearest iterp is fine as we normally have enough
points for 10bits in all channels, we have used Catmull-Rom in
the past. As we will be only using this for viewing scene linear it
should be ok in the short term.

I don't need 4 channel luts, but other people might.

.malcolm

On Jul 22, 1:53 am, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Malcolm,

I believe the 1D lut op does allow for a different number of entries
per channel.
If we look at src/core/Lut1DOp.h,

you'll see the entry for each color channel lut is stored in an
individual vector: fv_t luts[3].
So in your loading code (if we hardcoded the sizes used in your example),

lut1d->luts[0].resize(11);
lut1d->luts[1].resize(6);
lut1d->luts[2].resize(6);

Does the rest of the Format loading code make sense to you?  All your
work should be in a single file, a la FileFormat3DL.

A few additional questions for you:

* Currently, OCIO only support linear and nearest interpolation for 1D
luts.  If the examples you've given are typical (where the 1d lut is
size 6) I couldnt imagine linear interpolation would suffice, and I'd
also imagine that the interpolation type chosen would highly influence
the resulting image.   Does CSP dictate the interpolation type?  What
type would you prefer?  I have no problem adding higher types (cubic,
etc) I just hadnt had the need to yet.  (Note that the .3dl shaper 1D
lut also has this issue (it's often size 17), I just hadnt tackled it
yet.)

* Do you care about 4 channel luts? (I.e., changing alpha)  We've
never needed this at SPI, which is why the OCIO currently assumes 3
channels, but if other people think its important for completeness
sake Im open to it.

-- Jeremy

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Malcolm Humphreys

<malcolmh...@mac.com> wrote:
Hi,
I started looking at adding csp lut format to ocio.
A csp lut allows a 1D prelut with a different number of points per channel. The
current Lut1DOp only supports applying the same 1D lut to all channels.
I'm wondering if this is something you were thinking of supporting in ocio?
--snip--
Access LUT data via a gamma lookup
Red channel has gamma 2.0
Green channel has gamma 3.0 but also has fewer points
Blue channel has gamma 2.0 but also has fewer points
11
0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 1.0
0.0 0.01 0.04 0.09 0.16 0.25 0.36 0.49 0.64 0.81 1.0
6
0.0 0.2 0.4 0.6 0.8 1.0
0.0 0.008 0.064 0.216 0.512 1.0
6
0.0 0.2 0.4 0.6 0.8 1.0
0.0 0.04 0.16 0.36 0.64 1.0
--snip--
.malcolm


OCIO 0.5.15 posted

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>
 

Version 0.5.15 (Sept 8 2010):
* Library is well behaved when $OCIO is unset, allowing for use in
an un-colormanaged environment
* Color Transforms can be applied in Python (config->getProcessor)
* Simplification of API (getColorSpace allows cs name, role names,
and cs objects)
* Makefile enhancements (courtesy Malcolm Humphreys)
* A bunch of bug fixes


Development Priorities?

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>
 

Folks,

If you're considering using OpenColorIO in the near term, we would
greatly appreciate it if you would respond and let us know which of
the topics below you personally consider to be most important.
Perhaps reply with the top 5 items you care about?

(Note: We plan on addressing all of these issues, but would love to
get a sense of what's holding people up in the short term).

If there's an important task that isn't represented on this list, please add it!

Thanks!

-- Jeremy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Fall 2010 OpenColorIO Development Topics:

Documentation
- Quickstart Guide
- End User (Artist) Docs
- Developer API Docs
- Color Config Authoring Docs

Facility Integration
- Support for additional lut formats (import)
- Support for lut export
- 3rd party app plugins
RV
OFX
OpenImageIO
Houdini
<Your App Here!>

"Real" Color Configurations
- Flesh out the existing ocio configs (spi-anim,spi-vfx) for real use
- Add a example ACES ocio config
- Add a config that emulates the default nuke color configuration
- Add example color config authoring scripts
- Document 'best practice' for each config, and provide workflow
examples with imagery

Core Library:
- Unit testing / correctness validation
- Overall performance optimization

Issues deferred until after 1.0 (tentatively Jan '11):
- Dynamic Color API (OCIO Plugin API)
- Live CDL Support


Re: Development Priorities?

"Nathaniel Hoffman" <na...@...>
 

1) Document 'best practice' for each config, provide examples with imagery
2) Flesh out the existing ocio configs (spi-anim,spi-vfx) for real use
3) Add example color config authoring scripts
4) End User (Artist) Docs
5) Color Config Authoring Docs

Naty

Folks,

If you're considering using OpenColorIO in the near term, we would
greatly appreciate it if you would respond and let us know which of
the topics below you personally consider to be most important.
Perhaps reply with the top 5 items you care about?

(Note: We plan on addressing all of these issues, but would love to
get a sense of what's holding people up in the short term).

If there's an important task that isn't represented on this list, please
add it!

Thanks!

-- Jeremy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Fall 2010 OpenColorIO Development Topics:

Documentation
- Quickstart Guide
- End User (Artist) Docs
- Developer API Docs
- Color Config Authoring Docs

Facility Integration
- Support for additional lut formats (import)
- Support for lut export
- 3rd party app plugins
RV
OFX
OpenImageIO
Houdini
<Your App Here!>

"Real" Color Configurations
- Flesh out the existing ocio configs (spi-anim,spi-vfx) for real use
- Add a example ACES ocio config
- Add a config that emulates the default nuke color configuration
- Add example color config authoring scripts
- Document 'best practice' for each config, and provide workflow
examples with imagery

Core Library:
- Unit testing / correctness validation
- Overall performance optimization

Issues deferred until after 1.0 (tentatively Jan '11):
- Dynamic Color API (OCIO Plugin API)
- Live CDL Support


Re: Development Priorities?

Alan Jones <sky...@...>
 

Hi Jeremy,

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Perhaps reply with the top 5 items you care about?
The top five for me would be as follows.

1) API Documentation (the classes and how the pieces are supposed to
work together - I guess that may count as config documentation)
2) LUT export
3) Unit testing (this kinda should be number one, but I'm trying to be
somewhat pragmatic)
4) Color config authoring docs
5) Additional LUT formats

I'd say for now the biggest thing holding me back on OIIO is there is
no big picture documentation. I don't really know how OCIO is intended
to work and what all the pieces are. I can try piece it together from
the code, but a document covering intended structure would make both
using it and identifying areas to provide meaningful contribution much
easier. The reason I say big picture rather than purely API is I'm
thinking not just of the API for how to access it, but how it's
intended to work within a pipeline.

Cheers,

Alan.


Re: Development Priorities?

Est <rame...@...>
 

Hi Jeremy,

I'm currently adding OpenColorIO support to my compositor.

My list would be:

- End User (Artist) Docs
- Developer API Docs
- Flesh out the existing ocio configs (spi-anim,spi-vfx) for real use
- Color Config Authoring Docs
- Add example color config authoring scripts

I can port the existing Colorspace and Display Nuke plugins to OFX
if there is interest. Just let me know.

Est.

On Sep 15, 4:49 pm, Alan Jones <sky...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jeremy,

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Perhaps reply with the top 5 items you care about?
The top five for me would be as follows.

1) API Documentation (the classes and how the pieces are supposed to
work together - I guess that may count as config documentation)
2) LUT export
3) Unit testing (this kinda should be number one, but I'm trying to be
somewhat pragmatic)
4) Color config authoring docs
5) Additional LUT formats

I'd say for now the biggest thing holding me back on OIIO is there is
no big picture documentation. I don't really know how OCIO is intended
to work and what all the pieces are. I can try piece it together from
the code, but a document covering intended structure would make both
using it and identifying areas to provide meaningful contribution much
easier. The reason I say big picture rather than purely API is I'm
thinking not just of the API for how to access it, but how it's
intended to work within a pipeline.

Cheers,

Alan.


Re: Development Priorities?

Marie Fétiveau <m...@...>
 

Hello Jeremy and all !

I don't have much time to focus on OCIO now but soon or late I will...;)

And when that day will come, I'll be happy to find :
- Developer API Docs
- Color Config Authoring Docs
- Add a example ACES ocio config
- End User (Artist) Docs
- Live CDL Support

Thanks !

Marie


On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:39 AM, Est <rame...@...> wrote:
Hi Jeremy,

I'm currently adding OpenColorIO support to my compositor.

My list would be:

- End User (Artist) Docs
- Developer API Docs
- Flesh out the existing ocio configs (spi-anim,spi-vfx) for real use
- Color Config Authoring Docs
- Add example color config authoring scripts

I can port the existing Colorspace and Display Nuke plugins to OFX
if there is interest. Just let me know.

Est.

On Sep 15, 4:49 pm, Alan Jones <sky...@...> wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...> wrote:
> > Perhaps reply with the top 5 items you care about?
>
> The top five for me would be as follows.
>
> 1) API Documentation (the classes and how the pieces are supposed to
> work together - I guess that may count as config documentation)
> 2) LUT export
> 3) Unit testing (this kinda should be number one, but I'm trying to be
> somewhat pragmatic)
> 4) Color config authoring docs
> 5) Additional LUT formats
>
> I'd say for now the biggest thing holding me back on OIIO is there is
> no big picture documentation. I don't really know how OCIO is intended
> to work and what all the pieces are. I can try piece it together from
> the code, but a document covering intended structure would make both
> using it and identifying areas to provide meaningful contribution much
> easier. The reason I say big picture rather than purely API is I'm
> thinking not just of the API for how to access it, but how it's
> intended to work within a pipeline.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan.


OCIO 0.5.16 posted

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>
 

Version 0.5.16 (Sept 16 2010):
* PyTransforms now use native python class inheritance
* OpenColorIO C++ namespace can now be configured at build time
(for safe distribution in commercial apps)
* Updated make install behavior
* DisplayTransform accepts generic cc operators (instead of CDL
only)
* A few bug fixes / compile warning fixes

And coming next week, 0.6.0 !


Re: Development Priorities?

srluka <srl...@...>
 

Hello Jeremy,

I would like to see OCIO grow into a library that can handle all our
color transformations. I can see it being used in the current xml'ized
form within our production environment to keep the color options well-
defined, but still want the eventual capability for dynamic color
transformations. Performance for realtime playback is also important
to us.

With that in mind, here are my top five:

- Developer API Docs
- Color Config Authoring Docs
- Overall performance optimization
- Dynamic Color API
- OpenImageIO

Stefan

On Sep 16, 8:36 am, Marie Fétiveau <m....@mikrosimage.eu> wrote:
Hello Jeremy and all !

I don't have much time to focus on OCIO now but soon or late I will...;)

And when that day will come, I'll be happy to find :
- Developer API Docs
- Color Config Authoring Docs
- Add a example ACES ocio config
- End User (Artist) Docs
- Live CDL Support

Thanks !

Marie



On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:39 AM, Est <rame...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jeremy,
I'm currently adding OpenColorIO support to my compositor.
My list would be:
- End User (Artist) Docs
- Developer API Docs
- Flesh out the existing ocio configs (spi-anim,spi-vfx) for real use
- Color Config Authoring Docs
- Add example color config authoring scripts
I can port the existing Colorspace and Display Nuke plugins to OFX
if there is interest. Just let me know.
Est.
On Sep 15, 4:49 pm, Alan Jones <sky...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jeremy,
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Perhaps reply with the top 5 items you care about?
The top five for me would be as follows.
1) API Documentation (the classes and how the pieces are supposed to
work together - I guess that may count as config documentation)
2) LUT export
3) Unit testing (this kinda should be number one, but I'm trying to be
somewhat pragmatic)
4) Color config authoring docs
5) Additional LUT formats
I'd say for now the biggest thing holding me back on OIIO is there is
no big picture documentation. I don't really know how OCIO is intended
to work and what all the pieces are. I can try piece it together from
the code, but a document covering intended structure would make both
using it and identifying areas to provide meaningful contribution much
easier. The reason I say big picture rather than purely API is I'm
thinking not just of the API for how to access it, but how it's
intended to work within a pipeline.
Cheers,
Alan.


Compilation fail on FC13

Alan Jones <sky...@...>
 

Hi All,

For some reason the compilation of the latest trunk is failing on FC13.

It's complaining about main not being defined, but from what I've read on the
boost unit testing defining BOOST_TEST_MODULE should take care of that.

Any ideas? Error output is below.

Cheers,

Alan.

Linking CXX executable ocio_core_tests
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.4.4/../../../../lib64/crt1.o: In
function `_start':
(.text+0x20): undefined reference to `main'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [src/core/ocio_core_tests] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/core/CMakeFiles/ocio_core_tests.dir/all] Error 2


Re: Compilation fail on FC13

Alan Jones <sky...@...>
 

Best way to solve a problem? Post on a mailing list asking for help, then
you'll find the solution within minutes.

Cheers,

Alan.


Re: Compilation fail on FC13

Jeremy Selan <jeremy...@...>
 

Hmmm, that patch doesnt quite work for us locally at Imageworks. (I
think it's probably because we use a namespaced version of boost, and
the macro isn't quite right in our context). Let me see if I can find
a solution that works for both of us.

I've also been rethinking the use of boost within OCIO. Currently
there are only two things we use it for: shared_ptr and the unit test
framework. Given the issues that can occur when linking against
other apps the rely on different boost versions, boost may be a can of
worms worth avoiding, particularly considering that at this time it
may be a pretty simple dependency to remove.

Does anyone have any strong feelings (or experience) on this?

-- Jeremy

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Alan Jones <sky...@gmail.com> wrote:
Best way to solve a problem? Post on a mailing list asking for help, then
you'll find the solution within minutes.

Cheers,

Alan.

101 - 120 of 2190