From: ocio-dev@... on behalf of Michael Dolan <michdolan@...>
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2019 7:34 PM
To: ocio-dev@...
Subject: [ocio-dev] PLEASE READ: OpenColorIO repo moving

Hi all,

It's been a busy year for OpenColorIO!

We recently graduated from an incubation to adopted ASWF project (more on what that means at this link). It was a lot of work getting to that point, but we got it done. Now it is time to move the OpenColorIO GitHub repo from the Imageworks organization to the AcademySoftwareFoundation organization.

The good news is GitHub handles this process fairly seamlessly. The old URLs will forward to the new ones, so the impact on the wider community should be minimal. We will update this thread with status updates and to provide further information about the move or any expected disruptions.

This process will likely be completed over the next week, so stay tuned. Also note that we are NOT moving the OpenColorIO-Configs repo at this time. That will remain with the Imageworks GitHub organization for now.

Thanks!

PLEASE READ: OpenColorIO repo moving

Michael Dolan

[...]

Cancelled Event: OpenColorIO TSC meeting (weekly) - Monday, 2 September 2019 #cal-cancelled

ocio-dev@lists.aswf.io Calendar <ocio-dev@...>

Cancelled: OpenColorIO TSC meeting (weekly)

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Monday, 2 September 2019
9:30am to 10:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/924729729

Organizer: Michael Dolan michdolan@...

Weekly meeting of the OpenColorIO TSC.

Add topics to the meeting agenda.

Meeting notes listed by YYYY-MM-DD.md format at:
https://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO/tree/master/docs/tsc/meetings

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/924729729

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,924729729# US (San Jose)
+16465588656,,924729729# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 877 369 0926 US Toll-free
        +1 855 880 1246 US Toll-free
Meeting ID: 924 729 729
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abo9cwSMxj

Re: Setting OCIO->Displays->Active in RV

Ravindra Korde

Hi Michael,

No problem at all.
I will check the links you provided & try to create it in RV.

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019, 8:22 PM Michael Dolan <michdolan@...> wrote:
Sorry for the late reply. It might be worth asking this question on RV's support site instead, since it pertains to their bundled OCIO package:

https://support.shotgunsoftware.com

Here are some really old developer docs about customizing OCIO in RV, which may or may not be a helpful starting point:

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019, 10:47 PM Ravindra Korde, <rravindrakorde@...> wrote:
Hi All,

Every time after loading a ocio.config file in RV i have to go to the ocio menu & select displays to active. so I'm trying to set displays to active automatically as i load a config file, but i couldn't find anything it.
I have search for it in every .mu file in RV which supports to assignments.

Can anyone have any idea how to do it in RV?

Re: Setting OCIO->Displays->Active in RV

Michael Dolan

Sorry for the late reply. It might be worth asking this question on RV's support site instead, since it pertains to their bundled OCIO package:

https://support.shotgunsoftware.com

Here are some really old developer docs about customizing OCIO in RV, which may or may not be a helpful starting point:

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019, 10:47 PM Ravindra Korde, <rravindrakorde@...> wrote:
Hi All,

Every time after loading a ocio.config file in RV i have to go to the ocio menu & select displays to active. so I'm trying to set displays to active automatically as i load a config file, but i couldn't find anything it.
I have search for it in every .mu file in RV which supports to assignments.

Can anyone have any idea how to do it in RV?

Re: SIGGRAPH 2019 - OpenColorIO Birds of a Feather

Pipeliner TD

thank you for sharing the presentation!

Am Mi., 31. Juli 2019 um 20:44 Uhr schrieb Michael Dolan <michdolan@...>:

Hello all,

We held the OpenColorIO Birds of a Feather yesterday at SIGGRAPH in LA. Thank you to everyone who could join us! We directly followed the ACES BoF and both events had very good attendance. For those who couldn't be there, we recorded the meeting and will make the video available following SIGGRAPH.

I opened the BoF with a project update covering our ASWF incubation status, related improvements to the OCIO build and CI systems, and a summary of Thomas Mansencal's work on the ACES 1.1 OCIO config. Doug Walker and Patrick Hodoul then outlined their progress and roadmap for OCIO v2, as well as discussing support for new pixel formats, ACES output transforms, CLF, and measurable CPU renderer performance gains. Lastly, Mark Boorer gave an overview of his work on the companion OpenColorMath library, covering its design, interface, and vision for where to take it next.

The presentation slides are attached to this thread, where you can find a detailed outline of the information presented. Feel free to respond with any questions or points of discussion.

I wanted to also give a big thanks to Emily Olin, John Mertic, and the rest of the Linux Foundation team for skillfully organizing this event (as well as 9 other open source BoF meetings for Open Source Day!).

Thanks!

Re: Compile order for OCIO, OIIO, OpenExr?

Mark Boorer

> Is there a target to build only the OpenColorIO tools?

-DOCIO_BUILD_APPS=OFF

-DOCIO_BUILD_APPS=ON

You will unnecessarily build the core lib twice, but reinstalling it over the top should cause no issues.

--
Gonzalo Garramuño

Re: Compile order for OCIO, OIIO, OpenExr?

Larry Gritz

This is all my understanding, too. To recap:

OIIO's dependency on OCIO is fundamental (well, if you want all the color conversion functionality, which of course any studio user does).

OCIO's dependency on OIIO is limited. If you just need the OCIO libraries, OIIO is not needed at all. The ways that OCIO uses OCIO are strictly for ocioconvert, ociodisplay, and ociolutimage.

ocioconvert is a historical quirk dating from a time when OIIO did not have OCIO support and there was an actual purpose to 'ocioconvert', whereas now you just want to use 'oiiotool --colorconnvert.

ociodisplay is really just an example (and maybe ocioconvert is, too), and as examples, they don't need the full flexibility of an OpenImageIO-backed support of all possible data and file formats. So maybe a solution there is, say, to support OpenEXR only and use tinyexr (a header-only implementation of just exr core features).

ociobakelut is a little more fundamental, though only used by power users. But again, if you're willing to stipulate that the baked LUT images are always openexr, maybe there as well using OpenEXR or even tinyexr will let us avoid pulling all of OIIO in.

Also, it is worth noting that if these utilities were changed from C++ to Python, even if they still use OIIO, it would at least be a simple runtime dependency and not a circular build-order dependency.

-- lg

On Aug 8, 2019, at 11:39 AM, Sloan, Blake <bsloan@...> wrote:

Hi Steve!

OpenEXR does not (and should not) depend on OCIO.

I think I bring the OCIO->OIIO dependency up at every BoF.

What Mark suggests works but is a bit more complicated for shops using an automated build system (OCIO build may succeed but link to the system’s installed OIIO libs instead of the yet-to-be-built ones)

Build OCIO without ociorender
Build OIIO against OCIO (make sure rpaths do not explicitly point to OCIO build directory)
Build OCIO with ociorender against OIIO
Install OCIO
Install OIIO

OIIO’s dependency on on OCIO is, in my opinion, a necessary thing as it allows OIIO clients to manage color using OCIO.

OCIO’s dependency on OIIO is not essential and should be deprecated (I think its current custodians are in agreement). One of OCIO’s example executables (ociorender?) depends on OIIO for image file IO. This executable can either be
  1. moved to a separate package, say OpenColorIOExtensions,
  2. made a build option that defaults to off, or better,
  3. made to depend on a lightweight image library whose code ships with OCIO (ppm?)
  4. dropped altogether from the build, as an installation of OIIO built against OCIO will already have oiiotool, whose functionality overlaps with ociorender.

-blake

--
Larry Gritz

Re: Compile order for OCIO, OIIO, OpenExr?

Sloan, Blake

[...]

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019, 19:24 Alex Hughes, <alex@...> wrote:
From my understanding, OpenEXR can simply be built first. The OCIO and OIIO thing gets a bit more complicated for those two but I have never had complications where I would not build OpenEXR first

-Alex

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 7:01 PM Steve Hwan <svhwan+opencgi@...> wrote:
I asked Larry a variation of this at DigiPro and he suggested I ask on this list, as the answer was mildly complicated.

I observed OCIO and OIIO had build dependencies on each other, so I was wondering if there was a recommended build order? (And now that I'm asking, I'll throw OpenExr into the mix for the question as well - are there any dependencies on OCIO? Or is it as simple as "Just build OpenExr first."?)

-Steve

Re: Compile order for OCIO, OIIO, OpenExr?

Alex Hughes

From my understanding, OpenEXR can simply be built first. The OCIO and OIIO thing gets a bit more complicated for those two but I have never had complications where I would not build OpenEXR first

-Alex

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 7:01 PM Steve Hwan <svhwan+opencgi@...> wrote:
I asked Larry a variation of this at DigiPro and he suggested I ask on this list, as the answer was mildly complicated.

I observed OCIO and OIIO had build dependencies on each other, so I was wondering if there was a recommended build order? (And now that I'm asking, I'll throw OpenExr into the mix for the question as well - are there any dependencies on OCIO? Or is it as simple as "Just build OpenExr first."?)

-Steve

Compile order for OCIO, OIIO, OpenExr?

Steve Hwan

[...]

Cancelled Event: OpenColorIO TSC meeting (weekly) - Monday, 29 July 2019 #cal-cancelled

ocio-dev@lists.aswf.io Calendar <ocio-dev@...>

Cancelled: OpenColorIO TSC meeting (weekly)

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Monday, 29 July 2019
9:30am to 10:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/924729729

Organizer:
michdolan@...

Weekly meeting of the OpenColorIO TSC.

Add topics to the meeting agenda.

Meeting notes listed by YYYY-MM-DD.md format at:
https://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO/tree/master/docs/tsc/meetings

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/924729729

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,924729729# US (San Jose)
+16465588656,,924729729# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 877 369 0926 US Toll-free
        +1 855 880 1246 US Toll-free
Meeting ID: 924 729 729
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abo9cwSMxj

Re: TruelightTransform?

Patrick Hodoul

> A transform plugin API

When looking for the plugin keyword in the former ocio-dev from google group, I found several threads with some around ExpresssionTransform. Is that the same discussion?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/ocio-dev/plugin%7Csort:date/ocio-dev/n2t5I3gpY94/PSFJkdbTRS8J
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/ocio-dev/plugin%7Csort:date/ocio-dev/IYAWizXEJfM/Q0kjpVkrSTYJ

> Regarding TrueLight, it seems like we're in agreement that it should be removed.

That's a good 'good first issue' defect :-)

Re: R3D support?

Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka@...>

It’s a proprietary binary blob with a license that is utterly incompatible.

With respect,
TJS

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 3:03 PM Alex Hughes <alex@...> wrote:
Oof I posted this in OCIO not OIIO