Topics

Voxel representation of non-uniform mesh

Megidd Git

I have meshes with varying density of polygons, in my case triangles:

Mesh with varying density of polygons

I'm going to convert my meshes to Voxels by OpenVDB and VoxelizePolygons.

  • As I understand, OpenVDB uses voxels with the same size
  • Is it a good idea to use OpenVDB and voxels for meshes with varying polygon density?
  • Does OpenVDB have any feature or tool helping with such meshes?

I intend to maintain mesh topology by converting voxels back to polygons, eventually.

Thanks.

chris golchert

The voxels are the same size but the mesher does have the ability to do adaptive meshing.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/297004087 (This was an old tests for another discussion about the adaptive setting)

I have meshes with varying density of polygons, in my case triangles:

Mesh with varying density of polygons

I'm going to convert my meshes to Voxels by OpenVDB and VoxelizePolygons.

·         As I understand, OpenVDB uses voxels with the same size

·         Is it a good idea to use OpenVDB and voxels for meshes with varying polygon density?

·         Does OpenVDB have any feature or tool helping with such meshes?

I intend to maintain mesh topology by converting voxels back to polygons, eventually.

Thanks.

Megidd Git

Thanks. There is a concern which I try to clarify further. Here is a discussion on using Blender software for re-meshing:

Someone mentions that in order to preserve the quality of the mesh, on Blender, it is needed to blow up the polygon count by 10x or more:

Screenshot_20191112_110823.png

Now, I have this question in mind: would OpenVDB ability to do adaptive meshing prevent such problems encountered while using Blender?

Thanks :)