OSL - branding


Larry Gritz
 



Begin forwarded message:

From: Mario <mariovario@...>
Subject: OSL - branding


--
Larry Gritz





Adrian Cruceru
 

If I'm not too late, here's my attempt at this

oslLogos.jpg


On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 10:00 PM Larry Gritz <lg@...> wrote:


Begin forwarded message:

From: Mario <mariovario@...>
Subject: OSL - branding


--
Larry Gritz






--
Adrian Cruceru
df(x)


Zap Andersson
 

Continuing on the established trend of "shitty hand drawn sketches", here are a couple of thoughts:

1) If we still want to think in the direction of "Connections" here's a couple of options. Tho I think the 1st one is taken by some compositing package....



This one tries to convey that shading graph connection tends to be a tree, rather than a straight chain. Stupid, I know.... but.....


2) For the "just an icon" thinking, I was trying to previously convey something like this.... but ideally slightly better..... a wire-frame sphere "fading" over onto a halftone dotted sphere:

Which should work reasonably well even very small:

/Z


Zap Andersson
 

Of course, in the spirit of "eat your own dogfood" (or was it "you are what you eat"?), of course the OSL LOGO should be in OSL

 



Fully tweakable logo shader - enjoy :)



Enjoy :P

/Z


Alvaro Castaneda
 

damn Zap
Zap Wins!!
:D


Larry Gritz
 

Very nice! How did we go this long before realizing that of course any proper logo ought to have source code?


On Feb 26, 2021, at 1:03 PM, zap.andersson@... wrote:

Of course, in the spirit of "eat your own dogfood" (or was it "you are what you eat"?), of course the OSL LOGO should be in OSL



--
Larry Gritz





mariovario@...
 

I have been very busy these days juggling work and my teaching/instructor duties. I did not have time to work on the logo and move on the design to show in our next meeting - March 4th.
I am very happy though that people are getting involved and are proposing the designs. The idea of coding the final design in OSL itself from Zap - genus! Like a coding quines https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quine_%28computing%29
The only thing that I would move on is to think about the design first (the shaded sphere for example) then make it in the OSL rather than the other way around so we don't limit ourselves.


Eric Enderton
 

Very nice!  A possible tweak: Have the dark regions of the sphere form an “S” shape, such as, a crescent in both the lower-right and the upper-left, connecting in the middle somehow.  Then you have both an “O” and an “S”, as well as the concept of 3D shading.

 

From: <osl-dev@...> on behalf of "zap.andersson@..." <zap.andersson@...>
Date: Monday, March 1, 2021 at 7:35 AM
To: "osl-dev@..." <osl-dev@...>
Subject: Re: [OSL Discussion] OSL - branding

 

 

Of course, in the spirit of "eat your own dogfood" (or was it "you are what you eat"?), of course the OSL LOGO should be in OSL

Fully tweakable logo shader - enjoy :)


Enjoy :P

/Z


mariovario@...
 

Hey,
Since I can't write OSL code and even if I could I think that we should design the logo then transfer it to OSL. I find vector graphics software way faster and nimble with graphics than code... Anyhow... Here is my next iteration of the brand experiments. This time it is all about shading... This is the main idea I was trying to express here. Have look and comment.
PDF attached.

m


Larry Gritz
 

OK, let's talk about this for the first 20 minutes at tomorrow's meeting.

Zap, can you let Jonathan (and anybody else coming *only* for the BSDF discussion) know that it's fine for them to arrive 15-20 minutes after the meeting start if they aren't interested in sitting through the logo discussion? Thanks.



On Mar 17, 2021, at 10:06 PM, mariovario via lists.aswf.io <mariovario=pm.me@...> wrote:

Hey,
Since I can't write OSL code and even if I could I think that we should design the logo then transfer it to OSL. I find vector graphics software way faster and nimble with graphics than code... Anyhow... Here is my next iteration of the brand experiments. This time it is all about shading... This is the main idea I was trying to express here. Have look and comment.
PDF attached.

m

--
Larry Gritz





Chris Kulla
 

I'm really liking #3 -- ties into the shaded sphere and nodegraph ideas at the same time (and even half-tone dots to some extent).

#1 reads a bit too much like CSL for me

#2 I like the leftmost one, though its getting a bit abstract and i'm not sure about how well it reads over a dark background

#3 Definitely my favorite so far (both color and black&white versions)

#4 Without the L it's hard to read the circle as an O - so it feels more like a superman type of S logo.

#5  The depth effect is cool, though I'd worry that it would look too different to other industry logos and the "cut out hole" effect might not work in all contexts. The O and L also feel a bit squeezed and off-balance.

Overall the designs using the letters never quite click for me. Like you said before, it's a hard combination of letters to make work. But I'm liking where #3 is going.

Thanks for these - really nice work!





On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:06 PM mariovario via lists.aswf.io <mariovario=pm.me@...> wrote:
Hey,
Since I can't write OSL code and even if I could I think that we should design the logo then transfer it to OSL. I find vector graphics software way faster and nimble with graphics than code... Anyhow... Here is my next iteration of the brand experiments. This time it is all about shading... This is the main idea I was trying to express here. Have look and comment.
PDF attached.

m


Larry Gritz
 

I'm also leaning hard against overlapping or unclear letters, it just doesn't work for me. And I think that after prior discussions, Mario had me convinced that we should go more abstract, not try to make the logo BE the words or the letters.

I think 3 and 4 are my favourites of this set.

Is 3 too "busy"? I know that the lines are alluding to the "connection" idea, but to me it reads more as "circuitry" rather than the "shading" that I got clearly from some of the earlier hatching or halftone styles like the middle and upper right examples in section 3 of your Feb 18 email, or Zap's shader. But I could definitely be convinced if people like this variant. (Poor Zap, though, getting those wires exactly right in the shader will be tricky.)

4 also has potential. I'm less bothered than Chris about the missing L, I definitely get the O and S, and I don't mind the superman bit. (And you all know how much we're looking forward to saying "It's not an S" whenever somebody asks us about it.)

5 All I can think of is that the gradients might be hard to reproduce in some media and that it might not be readable small.


On Mar 17, 2021, at 10:43 PM, Chris Kulla <ckulla@...> wrote:

I'm really liking #3 -- ties into the shaded sphere and nodegraph ideas at the same time (and even half-tone dots to some extent).

#1 reads a bit too much like CSL for me

#2 I like the leftmost one, though its getting a bit abstract and i'm not sure about how well it reads over a dark background

#3 Definitely my favorite so far (both color and black&white versions)

#4 Without the L it's hard to read the circle as an O - so it feels more like a superman type of S logo.

#5  The depth effect is cool, though I'd worry that it would look too different to other industry logos and the "cut out hole" effect might not work in all contexts. The O and L also feel a bit squeezed and off-balance.

Overall the designs using the letters never quite click for me. Like you said before, it's a hard combination of letters to make work. But I'm liking where #3 is going.

Thanks for these - really nice work!





On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:06 PM mariovario via lists.aswf.io <mariovario=pm.me@...> wrote:
Hey,
Since I can't write OSL code and even if I could I think that we should design the logo then transfer it to OSL. I find vector graphics software way faster and nimble with graphics than code... Anyhow... Here is my next iteration of the brand experiments. This time it is all about shading... This is the main idea I was trying to express here. Have look and comment.
PDF attached.

m



--
Larry Gritz





Zap Andersson
 

Ok, willdo.

/Z

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 6:43 AM Larry Gritz <lg@...> wrote:
OK, let's talk about this for the first 20 minutes at tomorrow's meeting.

Zap, can you let Jonathan (and anybody else coming *only* for the BSDF discussion) know that it's fine for them to arrive 15-20 minutes after the meeting start if they aren't interested in sitting through the logo discussion? Thanks.



On Mar 17, 2021, at 10:06 PM, mariovario via lists.aswf.io <mariovario=pm.me@...> wrote:

Hey,
Since I can't write OSL code and even if I could I think that we should design the logo then transfer it to OSL. I find vector graphics software way faster and nimble with graphics than code... Anyhow... Here is my next iteration of the brand experiments. This time it is all about shading... This is the main idea I was trying to express here. Have look and comment.
PDF attached.

m

--
Larry Gritz






--
--
Håkan "Zap" Andersson - http://twitter.com/MasterZap - the man, the myth, the concept.
--


Zap Andersson
 

I agree completely with Larrys opinions (i.e. mostly liking 3, or enjoying saying "the S means hope" about 4), including the "poor me" part if we are gonna reproduce #3 in OSL code, LOL. :P

The beauty of my logo - if I may say so myself, LOL - is that it's a pretty short snippet of OSL, generating a "fairly nice" logo, with code that I at least hope some people look at and go "how does this even work". :)

Anything not strictly based in math will (as code goes) look a lot less... elegant, full of if-statements and hard-coded numbers for "which thing goes where". 
While that is fine, it spoils the magic a little bit.

But then again, maybe we shouldn't design a logo based on the elegance of the code. 
Or.... us being us ... should we? :)

I am, obviously, 20000% biased, and bow to the wisdom of the group.

/Z

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 8:06 AM Larry Gritz <lg@...> wrote:
I'm also leaning hard against overlapping or unclear letters, it just doesn't work for me. And I think that after prior discussions, Mario had me convinced that we should go more abstract, not try to make the logo BE the words or the letters.

I think 3 and 4 are my favourites of this set.

Is 3 too "busy"? I know that the lines are alluding to the "connection" idea, but to me it reads more as "circuitry" rather than the "shading" that I got clearly from some of the earlier hatching or halftone styles like the middle and upper right examples in section 3 of your Feb 18 email, or Zap's shader. But I could definitely be convinced if people like this variant. (Poor Zap, though, getting those wires exactly right in the shader will be tricky.)

4 also has potential. I'm less bothered than Chris about the missing L, I definitely get the O and S, and I don't mind the superman bit. (And you all know how much we're looking forward to saying "It's not an S" whenever somebody asks us about it.)

5 All I can think of is that the gradients might be hard to reproduce in some media and that it might not be readable small.


On Mar 17, 2021, at 10:43 PM, Chris Kulla <ckulla@...> wrote:

I'm really liking #3 -- ties into the shaded sphere and nodegraph ideas at the same time (and even half-tone dots to some extent).

#1 reads a bit too much like CSL for me

#2 I like the leftmost one, though its getting a bit abstract and i'm not sure about how well it reads over a dark background

#3 Definitely my favorite so far (both color and black&white versions)

#4 Without the L it's hard to read the circle as an O - so it feels more like a superman type of S logo.

#5  The depth effect is cool, though I'd worry that it would look too different to other industry logos and the "cut out hole" effect might not work in all contexts. The O and L also feel a bit squeezed and off-balance.

Overall the designs using the letters never quite click for me. Like you said before, it's a hard combination of letters to make work. But I'm liking where #3 is going.

Thanks for these - really nice work!





On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:06 PM mariovario via lists.aswf.io <mariovario=pm.me@...> wrote:
Hey,
Since I can't write OSL code and even if I could I think that we should design the logo then transfer it to OSL. I find vector graphics software way faster and nimble with graphics than code... Anyhow... Here is my next iteration of the brand experiments. This time it is all about shading... This is the main idea I was trying to express here. Have look and comment.
PDF attached.

m



--
Larry Gritz






--
--
Håkan "Zap" Andersson - http://twitter.com/MasterZap - the man, the myth, the concept.
--


mariovario@...
 

Hey all,
As discussed on the last meeting I was working on addressing the comments for two designs. First is the 'halftone, dots, sphere' and the other is a variation of the favorite 'shaded rectangles'. I stopped any efforts to use type - concentrated only on getting logo design. Please have look and comment. I will join Thursday TSC to discuss.
Mario


mariovario@...
 

Since we did not have TSC meeting last week I had some more time to think and try to return to the basics rather than spin the wheels trying to make something out of the previous designs.
These are new designs based around ⊚ shape. This is powerful symbol that drives the idea of completeness, revolution and dynamic change.
There are designs (#1, #2, #4) that incorporate 'shading' part as a blend in grayscale that we can later turn into our colour scheme. Other designs (#3, #5) drive the shading straight into a shape.
All are very nice when scaled down to an icon and can work on the dark bkg, as shown on the samples.
I will join the TSC meeting tomorrow to present, discuss and take comments.
M.


mariovario@...
 

Here... sorry missed the attachment PDF.


Alvaro Castaneda
 

those logos seem a little generic to me, I might be wrong, but they don't tell me anything about OSL

Also what is this? :)
image.png


On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 8:40 PM mariovario via lists.aswf.io <mariovario=pm.me@...> wrote:
Here... sorry missed the attachment PDF.


mariovario@...
 

Another iteration for the discussion on today's TSC meeting.


Larry Gritz
 

Hot take: I think all are quite interesting! 

This is by far the best batch yet, 100% have serious merit. For the first time I feel like we're not just groping around for ideas, but have multiple great options and simply need to pick.


On May 13, 2021, at 1:41 PM, mariovario via lists.aswf.io <mariovario=pm.me@...> wrote:

Another iteration for the discussion on today's TSC meeting.


--
Larry Gritz