Re: OpenTimelineIO meeting agenda 2019-08-29
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
Yes, the meetings are open to the public and you are welcome to join in and/or ask for a topic to be on the agenda.
Here are my notes from today's meeting:
Joshua Minor (Pixar)
Stephan Steinbach (Pixar)
Eric Reinecke (Netflix)
John Mertic (Linux Foundation)
Cory Omand (Disney ASWF TAC + Pixar)
Michel Eid (Autodesk)
Josh Burnell (Dreamworks)
Sean Wallitsch (Dreamworks)
Discussed ASWF, TAC, TSC structure.
- OTIO Technical Steering Committee is made up of individuals steering the direction of this project
- ASWF & TAC exist to support projects, like OTIO, with infrastructure, guidance, etc. not to meddle or direct projects within ASWF.
- Per the TSC charter, Contributors can become Committers and become voting members of the TSC - though votes are rare.
- Anyone is welcome to attend TSC meetings (usually video conference) and participate without formally joining the TSC.
- Dreamworks wants to be more involved with OTIO and contribute more.
- Using OTIO to round-trip from Avid Media Composer through a pipeline to RV and back again.
- Using their own AAF adapter and RV plugins, but migrating to the OTIO standard ones.
- Also using OTIO for validation and comparison.
- Treat OTIO as the "item of record" for a cut.
- Looking to contribute more to the AAF adapter, and RV integration.
- Pipeline is similar to Pixar's
- Autodesk wants to be more involved with OTIO and contribute more.
- Using OTIO for persistence and transport internally within Shotgun and Shotgun Create
- Working to refactor internal cut data model to become OTIO
- Internal Flame adapter (Flame then interchanges with RV)
- Have added custom schema for many things, including:
- review and annotation
- unified coordinate system (resolution, size, time, color)
- multi-resolution source media (e.g. a clip with highres, proxy, etc. media)
- Some overlap with OpenClip media metadata
- Want to add/contribute much of this to OTIO so these things become standard and can be used for interchange outside Autodesk products.
- OTIO is particularly interested in Autodesk's media schema (resolution, stream/channels, etc.)
- We discussed some details of the several OTIO/RV integrations.
- OTIO has a one-way adapter: https://github.com/PixarAnimationStudios/OpenTimelineIO/blob/master/contrib/opentimelineio_contrib/adapters/extern_rv.py
- We would like to move towards this instead: https://github.com/PixarAnimationStudios/OpenTimelineIO/pull/395
- OTIO is looking for feedback & code review from Autodesk on the code linked above.
- Ideally Autodesk could take ownership of the RV/OTIO integration and/or ship OTIO support in RV natively
- OTIO is looking for help making AAF support more robust, and for community engagement with Avid
- Netflix and Dreamworks are looking to see if they can help with these.
- Pixar has approached Avid, asking for technical assistance with AAF.
- Anyone with expertise in this is welcome to help us out or offer advice.
ASWF next steps
- We need to complete the OTIO TSC Charter
- Needs agreement from TSC members
- Needs agreement from Pixar legal, as part of handing OTIO over to ASWF
- Meeting between Pixar legal and Linux Foundation legal regarding Apache license, and TSC charter, is scheduled.
Next meeting will focus more on roadmap and next steps for the project.